PDA

View Full Version : need help on materials for a stock...

graphics360
05-20-2007, 08:54 PM
i want to make this stock that i have pictured in my attachment but was wondering what material i should use for it...

i was initially thinking bent steel tubing or steel rodstock but i figured that could mess up the aluminum body of the gun so i should probably stay away from it. any plastic that can be bent by heating but is pretty durable? pvc pipe with really thick walls?

kbonnell
05-21-2007, 05:59 PM
see if you can find a length of aluminum bar stock. Kinda like a 1 inch wooden dowel but aluminum. Then all you have to do is find something to bend it with. maybe a heavy duty pipe bender (the one with the 4 foot handle) With the 90* bend, you may need to cut a 45* then have it welded. Let me know how it goes because that looks really cool. I need something like that since I installed a red dot scope and the original stock is in the way.

SpyderFan
05-21-2007, 06:55 PM
see if you can find a length of aluminum bar stock. Kinda like a 1 inch wooden dowel but aluminum. Then all you have to do is find something to bend it with. maybe a heavy duty pipe bender (the one with the 4 foot handle) With the 90* bend, you may need to cut a 45* then have it welded. Let me know how it goes because that looks really cool. I need something like that since I installed a red dot scope and the original stock is in the way.

have you tried JCS's folding stock? they replace the striker plug, and drop and additional inch below that...just a thought.....

graphics360
05-21-2007, 09:12 PM

where could i find something like this? i was thinking aluminum but didnt know where i could pick up 1" alum rodstock.... and do you think it would be expensive?

kbonnell
05-22-2007, 06:46 AM
It shouldn't be expensive, its aluminum and nothing has been done to it. I dont know where you could find bar stock ike that in your area. Just look in the yellow pages, I found a couple places by me that could sell me some or point me in the right direction. Most are marine metal fabricators and welders.

kbonnell
05-22-2007, 06:59 AM
have you tried JCS's folding stock? they replace the striker plug, and drop and additional inch below that...just a thought.....

Where would I find one of those? Is that the one that looks like the Ar-15 folding stock?

SpyderFan
05-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Where would I find one of those? Is that the one that looks like the Ar-15 folding stock?

well, ummm, i dont know actually.....i'm kinda short on cash right now, so i havent been shopping for any new parts. but, i've only heard positive things about this stock. heres pbreview's page on it

http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/5097/

bmxroadie
05-23-2007, 01:10 PM
I just went to my local hardware store (lowe's) and picked up a 6 foot length of 600psi pvc pipe 1/2 inch 2 45degree elbows and a 90 degree elbow to recreate a stock as per your diagram and i spent less that $5 and less than an hour fabbing it all i will post pics as soon as i can the only thing to keep in mind is you have to use pvc cement or the joints will flex.

graphics360
05-24-2007, 09:33 AM
word up, thanks for STEALING MY DESIGN!!!

;) just kidding, thats good to know, i was gonna try that but didnt get to it in time...

is 600 psi stuff stronger than just standard pvc piping?

bmxroadie
05-24-2007, 12:45 PM
yes it has slightly thicker walls that regular pvc and since you are dealing with such a small diameter it reduces flex also i ended up using 2 90's and 1 45 elbow for proper palcement for me. the nice thing about pvc is it is very inexpensive

kbonnell
05-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Just be careful if you are using your gun in the colder climates. The colder it gets the easier it is for the PVC to shatter when stressed. Its not like glass or anyting, it just breaks with a sharp point which can puncture your body. Same in the heat it will bend easier. Dosent matter how thick the PVC is either.

graphics360
05-24-2007, 02:11 PM
thats true.... it shatters really sharp, ive done it