PDA

View Full Version : Need some processor advice

vikingshadow
05-19-2007, 08:03 AM
So, I'm looking at Dell and trying to figure out what kind of laptop features I'd like. I get to the processor, and really, this is the only part that confuses me.

The basic package has a Mobile AMD Sempron™ 3500+ (1.8GHz/512KB) at no additional cost. Now, my PC has a Intel Pentium 4, and it's as fast as I need. Is this Sempron processor pretty fast compared to what I have? The next option which would cost me 50.00 more would be the AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50. I know it's faster and better, but my question is, is the Sempron good enough?

Basically, I want to use it for internet access (wireless) email, writing on, lesson plans, maybe some gaming (not much, though), movie watching, etc. but not all at the same time, of course.

vikingshadow
05-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Oh, and while I'm at it, what's the difference in the 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps) and the 1490 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps) wireless card?

durrell
05-19-2007, 08:18 AM
My mom has the Sempron and it's fast enough for everything she needs. But, if you're planning to keep the laptop awhile..I'd just drop the extra 50 for dual core..because as time progresses, programs get even more memory intensive and you're pretty guaranteed that dual core is going to hold up to basically anything you throw at it.

The difference in those 2 network cards is the .11g of the first one and the .11a/g of the second..the first one is capable of connecting to "Wireless G" networks (most common, wireless "B" is getting outdated) and the second is capable of connection to "Wireless A" or "Wireless G" routers. It really only applies if you're going to be using a wireless router.

Also, go ahead and make sure you have at least 1 Gig of memory..trust me..you don't want less than that, ESPECIALLY if the laptop is coming preloaded with Windows Vista.

HelpDeskHustler
05-19-2007, 08:19 AM
don't pay 50 more unless you really want some games, and maybe more in the future. my brother has athalon 3400 and it runs games fine, but if you can resist teh crapping up your pc the turion x2 will last longer. look at the 4 digit number... whats it say? thats your main comparing factor with AMD. Durrel is right, get a ton of ram, processors over 3400 should last you a bit, and ram can really be a factor

vikingshadow
05-19-2007, 09:53 AM
This is what I'm looking at (not necessarily going to buy it, but I'm trying to decide what I want in a laptop...)

The stuff in red comes with no options - I have to get this because it's all they offer...

PROCESSOR Mobile AMD Sempron™ 3500+ (1.8GHz/512KB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ basic
LCD PANEL 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA with True Life Glossy Display
MEMORY 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
HARD DRIVE 60GB Hard Drive
OPTICAL DRIVE 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
VIDEO CARD ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory™ (Integrated)
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Audio edit

BATTERY OPTIONS 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)

So, if it were you, you'd go with the .11 a/g mini card, the 1 GB RAM and the 3500+ Semperon? How does the rest look? Any suggestions on where I can find this stuff and less than what Dell is selling it to me for? 713.00, by the way.

Edit - Not giving up on the offers I had in pm's by the way - just researching!

HelpDeskHustler
05-19-2007, 10:02 AM
eh.... I'd feel sketchy about 1gb of ram running on vista, since thats a recommended number, and they tend to reccommend lower than what is bearable. vista = memory hog. See if you can get like 1.5gb or 2... if not it SHOULD be fine, but it isn't something I would do.
vista uses like 512m by itself. Either more memory or run XP

256 radeon wont run HL2 in anything but uber lowres, any game before it should be fine.

vikingshadow
05-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm sort of sketchy on Windows Vista, actually. I haven't heard a lot of good about it. I'm perfectly happy with Windows XP....so if I could find a good one running XP, I'd be fine.

Other than that, and the radeon, is an acceptable machine?

HelpDeskHustler
05-19-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm sort of sketchy on Windows Vista, actually. I haven't heard a lot of good about it. I'm perfectly happy with Windows XP....so if I could find a good one running XP, I'd be fine.

Other than that, and the radeon, is an acceptable machine?
if i recall dell had some very good ones, but the 256 is too low, my bro had the full sized one in his pc and we had to swap it... it was teh suck. vista is really going to be cool... but its kinda in that awkward (wtf... awkward has 2 w's) state right now. XP does have all the stuff and it would be better to have xp now and up to vista later (if dell even gives that option).

vikingshadow
05-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Ok, I actually bit the bullet and found a pretty decent deal on a Dell Inspiron 1501 on eBay (guy had 100% feedback with 1624 sales - not too shabby!) I hate spending this much money on something, so someone make me feel like I did good on this one!

Here's what I got:

Brand New and Factory Sealed New Dell Inspiron 1501 15.4" Notebook Laptop

Includes a One Year Dell Warranty

Hardware Specs:

AMD Turion 64 x 2 TL-50 (1.6GHz/512KB) I hope this is a decent processor - it's not one of those dual core options I had. The highest one was a 2.0 GHz/1MB rating, the others directly below it didn't have numbers on them. Is this good?
15.4 inch Wide-screen True Life WXGA Display
1GB, DDR2, 533MHz Memory
ATI RADEON Xpress1150 - 256MB
HyperMemory Video
60GB SATA Hard Drive I think 60 MB is more than enough for me and what I plan for it.
8X DVD+/-RW Drive
Integrated High Definition Audio, Modem and Network Adapter Don't know - Dell's site never had this mentioned on it.
Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps) I wanted the .11a/g card, but this is ok, right?
85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery This was what I wanted as well.

Software Included:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2 I'm happy with the XP - I don't know what the SP2 is, but I really was hesitant on the Vista thing - Dell itself didn't give the option, and I read lots of reviews where it really slowed things down and screwed up speed....
POWER DVD 7.0 Software I guess this is good?
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem Again, with the wireless, I guess this is good?
Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0
Roxio Creator Basic
MS Works 8.5 (Anyone know if this has MS Word, Excel and/or powerpoint on it?)
Norton Internet Security 2007 (30 Day Trial) This will be gone as soon as I get it - I like AWG MUCH better!

I paid 600.00 bucks for it. When I set it up on Dell's website, I was paying close to 800.00 for almost the exact same setup with Vista.

Now, I may have to put the Shocker up for sale to recoup some of my money!

durrell
05-19-2007, 04:59 PM
MS Works does not include MS Word, you're going to have to buy Office if you want Powerpoint, Excel, and Word.

Get rid of Norton. You can use AVG if you want. I prefer Avast! Antivirus..totally free and awesome, not a memory hog..only does what you need it to do.

SP2 = Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. You're still probably going to have to install around 75 updates for XP when you get it, Windows will do it for you if you set it to Auto-Update..which I recommend.

Everything looks good. :thumbup: My mom has that same PC and it's decently fast with a single core, so I'm sure you'll be happy with dual core.

vikingshadow
05-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Dang! I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy anything else for it. Especially Word and Excel. :( Oh well. Maybe I can find it cheap, or talk one of my friends into downloading it from "somewhere" - not illegally, mind you! :devil:

I'll have the Windows update thing going....for sure! Don't need anything buggy going on this summer. So this is a dual core processor then (hence the "X 2" in the description?)

colonel_moo
05-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Dang! I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy anything else for it. Especially Word and Excel. :( Oh well. Maybe I can find it cheap, or talk one of my friends into downloading it from "somewhere" - not illegally, mind you! :devil:

I'll have the Windows update thing going....for sure! Don't need anything buggy going on this summer. So this is a dual core processor then (hence the "X 2" in the description?)

you don't have to buy word and excel. just download OpenOffice at www.openoffice.org. trust me, its almost exactly the same, only open office is open source, meaning its FREE! im sure any other linux users or plain old frugle people on this forum can vouch for it as well.

im with durrel, get rid of norton. its crap, period.

vikingshadow
05-20-2007, 04:29 AM
Norton is history - I had that problem about a year ago where I couldn't connect to the internet because the Norton firewall was blocking it. Couldn't disable it, nor could I delete it. Had to get some help from you guys just to clean it off my system!

I have a friend with the Office programs, but I'll check out that Openoffice this as well. Thanks!

grinder
05-20-2007, 05:07 AM
Open Office = Excellent! It's all I use at home and the office.

HelpDeskHustler
05-20-2007, 08:18 AM
I have a friend with the Office programs:dodgy: nono's

vikingshadow
05-20-2007, 08:22 AM
shhhhhh! ;)

durrell
05-20-2007, 10:50 AM
I "acquired" Office 2007 Enterprise Edition. It's nice.

Ace24
05-20-2007, 11:05 AM
256 radeon wont run HL2 in anything but uber lowres, any game before it should be fine.
What are you talking about? I run HL2 on a old ass Compaq with a integrated graphics card rated at 64mb and it's at med. resolution... Runs fine. 256 will def run it.

HelpDeskHustler
05-20-2007, 12:20 PM
What are you talking about? I run HL2 on a old ass Compaq with a integrated graphics card rated at 64mb and it's at med. resolution... Runs fine. 256 will def run it.
my brothers brand new compaq barely ran it and it has a 256 radeon, gig ram and 3400+ single core

vikingshadow
05-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Whooot! It's shipping Monday morning by Insured UPS Ground. I'm really excited to have a new toy to play with!

Since I more than likely WON'T be playing video games on it, I think it'll be fine. I'll be watching more videos and playing more music than playing video games - and even that won't be much.

DFSniper
05-21-2007, 05:28 AM
now that we're on the subject of vike playing video games, do you still play Halo?? just curious because i havent played in over a year (i think my brother lost the cd...)

bamf-hacker
05-21-2007, 05:41 AM
Awesome.

Hit me up on PM or IM and I can get you all set up if you like.

and still working on the other one we talked about. You can use that as a spare. :)