PDA

View Full Version : modding a sight to fit

graphics360
05-18-2007, 09:09 PM
for all those sights that require a 3/8 inch weaver rail to mount to, couldnt you just put in longer bolts so that the clamping part of the sight would fit on our 7/8 inch rail?
i just want a cheap red dot to play around with over the summer and i found some really good deals but theyre all for 3/8 rails.....

just wondering if this would work :waytogo:

Taillo
05-18-2007, 09:41 PM
you may be able with longer bolts but it depends on the sight itself. Some sight may need their stock bolts to remain solidly fixed. Some people have made a home made adapter out of wood, if you can find a way to attach the piece of wood to the mr1 rail, and attach your sight on the piece of wood, but this will not resist all impact as a metal one.

grinder
05-19-2007, 02:51 AM
I would suggest picking up a mr3 carry handle as the rail on top of them is 3/8

graphics360
05-20-2007, 10:11 AM
^ i might do that if its not to expensive, but i really just want a cheap fix...

this is the sight i found..

http://www.pyramydair.com/images/acc/LESCP-EDS21.jpg
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/accessory.pl?accessory_id=962

it seems like the screws are nothing special so.... what do ya think?

DRAGON
05-20-2007, 10:46 AM
I have a NcSTAR red dot and it has a mount that fits both configurations. It has an all metal body, red or green dot color and variable light intensities. I won a bid on Egay for $20 plus shipping on it. Do a search on the web. I'm sure that's not the only place that carries them -

brown turd bpg
06-20-2007, 11:52 AM
I got the sight you posted the picture of. I cant find a place to mount it to get it out of the way so I bought a drop bar and it still wont work. I have it secured as of now with Gorilla glue lol but I found some longer bolts to work with it so I will be putting them in this weekend to see how it does.

Uncleskunky
06-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Big 5 has rail kits that have a large size rail and a small dove tail in one piece and has holes that line up with the feed neck holes. Just drill em' out and get longer screws, careful though they go right through to the breech.
Dremel out the radius for the feed neck or get a sundragon feedneck.

The rail is about 4-5in. long and was a wopping $5.99

I mounted a single ring NcStar 30mm red dot and it comes right to where the charging handle sits when breech closed.

good luck.