PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Rodeo still failing to work...

VagabondStarJXF
05-15-2007, 09:27 AM
I've got a problem with my Rodeo.

Here's a quick recap. I took it out of storage after 2 years of inactivity. It wasn't recocking with the rocket valve I had in it so, after trying out every possible combination with every bolt, spring and striker I have I decided to order a New Designz valve. This morning it arrives and, after trying out every possible combination with every spring, bolt and striker I have, I was once again dismayed to find my marker still doesn't want to work. Having had enough of trying to figure out what's going wrong I decide to work methodically and start from the beginning. I have now returned the marker completely to stock and, would you believe it? My Spyder Rodeo still doesn't recock! Everything is completely stock right down to the mech trigger frame, regulator, bolt, striker, springs, valve and even the gauge! I've cleaned out, relubed, stripped and rebuilt this thing so many times it's no longer funny.

Can anyone help?

Nenkitsune
05-15-2007, 09:51 AM
did you plug the exhaust hole?

Ace24
05-15-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm pretty sure the Rodeo (much like the Fenix) has the same "regulator" wich you can turn on and off. Check that first and see if its off and not allowing air through. If air is getting through, for one, make sure everything is put together correctly.

Is the bolt burping and not catching the sear or is it just not moving at all when going forward? Also where do you have your striker buffer?

VagabondStarJXF
05-15-2007, 11:46 AM
The bolt and striker assembly move forward but don't move back. There is enough air getting through (approx 800psi) and I've double, triple and quad checked that everything is assembled correctly, including the bumper being behind the striker.

And I've tried blocking the exhaust hole and it doesn't make any difference.

I'm really stumped as to what's stopping it from recocking. The only thing I haven't touched is the body pin. My only theory left unexplored is that enough air is leaking out through that point to stop the marker from recocking but, quite simply, this shouldn't be the case. Anyone else have any theories?

BTW I've never touched that particular pin, never removed it for any reason.

Nenkitsune
05-15-2007, 01:08 PM
hmm when you just have the striker and bolt in, do they move smoothly?

VagabondStarJXF
05-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Very. No resistance and no side to side play. They're both snug bot not hindered by tightness or any other undue friction. I've checked the conditions of both tubes but I can't find anything that might be stopping either of them from moving properly. I think I'll strip it down completely, including the body pin, and clean it out and (kinda) polish it dry again before reassembling it.

Whatever the problem is I've got to find it soon. I've got another walk-on day to go to in just under 2 weeks so this marker has to be cycling properly and, at most, needing chrono'ing by the time that day comes.

pb34
05-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Completely stripping it would be your best bet. Just clean everything off all the parts and then re-oil them and put them back in. Hopefully that will solve your problem or you'll find something that is wrong.

VagabondStarJXF
05-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Completely stripping it would be your best bet. Just clean everything off all the parts and then re-oil them and put them back in. Hopefully that will solve your problem or you'll find something that is wrong.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking/hoping. I'm just starting to worry that I'll strip and clean it again and find nothing wrong and it still won't work! lol

ProFalcon
05-15-2007, 03:54 PM
is your valve in upsidedown? sounds stupid, but if i had a dime for everytime that happened...

Nenkitsune
05-15-2007, 05:08 PM
you mean backwards right? upside down would be the same. if it was the ndz valve, it would recock still. but no air to the bolt. i didn't think of that though. is your valve in backwards?

stylinbeaver
05-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Maybe drill out the VA? Might seem like more work but should fix the problem if everything you stated is correct.

pb34
05-15-2007, 05:29 PM
The big hole in the valve should be facing the front of the gun.

CHAOSFTW
05-15-2007, 05:59 PM
um have you ever replaced the orings.in every thing taht was the problem in my MR1.

Kenny_McCormic
05-15-2007, 06:10 PM
striker oring? does the gun fire with any sort of velocity? i would have to say the valve is in backwards or the striker oring is bad replace it with a tank oring and see what happens

VagabondStarJXF
05-16-2007, 12:20 AM
I've checked that everything was put together correctly (I've a minor case of OCD when it comes to my markers) and I've changed out all the o-rings more than once since I took the marker out of storage. There's a decent amount of force coming from the barrel but I don't have a chrono so I can't tell you how fast the velocity is.

I've just totally stripped it down, including the body pin, and could find absolutely nothing in either tube that could explain this problem. After scratching the body while putting the pin back in I decided to have a coffee so, once it's all back together again, I'll post up here what happened (or didn't happen as the case may be). I'll change out the o-rings again, just to be sure. Keep your fingers crossed everyone...

Nenkitsune
05-16-2007, 02:02 AM
hmmm, what parts are in it right now? it just farts whenever you try shooting right?

VagabondStarJXF
05-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Just messing with the setup and the best result I've gotten so far is a half second burp with the following:

Spudnuk'l Nylatron Bolt
DH Titanium Striker
Blue (medium) main spring
ND High Performance valve
Light valve spring
Trinity 7* VA
Bob Long Torpedo
700psi
New o-rings all round

I've increased and decreased psi but there wasn't any difference. I've tried with both an eFrame and a mech frame. That didn't make any difference either. I've tried different barrels, no barrel, and even blocking the front of the marker completely (which made it burp just a little longer). I'm running out of ideas faster than I'm running out of HPA. I really can't figure out what's going on and I've just blown the o-ring on my drop forward so I'm gonna have to mess about with it a little more just to gas it up. I'm beginning to think that my marker is beyond normal help. Anyone got a miracle they can lend me?

VagabondStarJXF
05-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Alrighty then...

I pulled the original stock bolt out from storage and returned the entire thing to its original stock parts. You wouldn't have guessed what happened. My Rodeo is working again but at 500psi and completely stock, including the venturi in the bolt. Now here's where my confusion lies...

If I change out the bolt for any other bolt that might be lighter or higher flowing then it stops working altogether. I don't understand why this is the case. I have used other bolts in it before without any problems and now no other bolt will work in it. I can, and have, changed out some other internals and it still works but when I go to change my bolt it won't recock. Even using a stock bolt that's had its venturi removed stops my Rodeo from recocking (this is the stock bolt I was using earlier on). Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Hob Hayward
05-22-2007, 01:52 PM
All I can think of is that the stock bolt with venturi is letting less air through, which gives more air to force the striker back.

What valve? Also, do the other bolts slide smoothly in the gun?

Kenny_McCormic
05-22-2007, 02:24 PM
maybe the lighter bolt is decreasing dwell causint the gun to not get enough gas?

Nenkitsune
05-22-2007, 07:48 PM
even then, it should cycle fine regardless of bolt weight. striker weight is the biggest factor compared to the bolt weight

VagabondStarJXF
05-23-2007, 02:11 AM
All I can think of is that the stock bolt with venturi is letting less air through, which gives more air to force the striker back.

What valve? Also, do the other bolts slide smoothly in the gun?
That's my theory on it too but it doesn't make sense. All the LP setups use higher flowing bolts. At the moment I've still got the stock valve and pin setup in there and every bolt I've got moves freely in the tube. I've used other bolts in it before and they all worked fine, including the JAM bolt that was in it for the last year before going into storage. Now none of them work?!? If I'd just got the aftermarket bolts and they didn't work or if they never worked in the passed I wouldn't be so confused.

maybe the lighter bolt is decreasing dwell causint the gun to not get enough gas?
I've tried increasing the dwell using different spring setups but I can't tell if there's any difference between setups because it stops working after I put in a different bolt.

even then, it should cycle fine regardless of bolt weight. striker weight is the biggest factor compared to the bolt weight
That's what I thought was the case, hence my confusion. I've just changed out the stock striker for the Nightstriker XL and it still recocks.

After some thought I had a theory that the bolts had shrunk a little in storage so I've tried out a brand new JAM bolt in it too. I'd bought it a couple of months ago so it hadn't been sitting around for too long. It was slightly tighter in the tube but still moved freely. It still didn't work. I'm gonna slowly change out everything else aside from the bolt and see how far I can make it to the setup I originally wanted. I'm really confused as to why the delrin and nylatron bolts I've got don't work. Even at 800psi they don't recock and I really wanted an anti-chop bolt in there. :(

VagabondStarJXF
05-25-2007, 06:19 AM
I've managed to get a couple of days off in a row so I got back onto my Rodeo problem today.

I'd started from the absolute beginning, from completely stock as I'd mentioned before, then changed out one piece at a time and checked that it still recocks after each and every change made. I can't change out the bolt because it just stops working altogether. Despite this rather major nuisance, everything was recocking nicely at 350-400psi up to this point so I put in the New Designz valve and now I can't get the marker working again! I think I'm either getting the spring combo completely wrong or I'm using the wrong level of psi. Can anyone tell me what combo they're using and at what psi? Like I said, I've got it at 350-400psi at the moment and I'm currently on the following setup:

Trinity 7* VA
Bob Long Torpedo
Stock venturi bolt
Nightstriker XL
Stock Spring Guide
New Designz Valve

... and I have the following springs to hand:
stock valve spring
Maddmann light valve spring
stock main spring
Green Maddmann main spring (light)
Blue Maddmann main spring (medium)
Red Maddmann main spring (heavy)
Silver Shocktech main spring (light)
Green Shocktech main spring (medium)
Gold Shocktech main spring (heavy/medium)
Red Shocktech main spring (heavy)

This is the first time I've had the New Designz valve so I tried a few combinations of lighter valve to heavier main spring with no results. What am I doing wrong? What combo works the best with the New Designz valve? Am I supposed to go the other way with this valve? (i.e. heavier valve to weaker main?) Should I increase the psi or drop it some more?

I'm getting more confused than frustrated about this marker's problems as time goes on. Please help!