PDA

View Full Version : Velocity Issues

RiotSauce
05-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Sup all, I purchased a Spyder TL-R Sniper "combo" pack last month-- and it worked pretty well straight out of the box. However, i played paintball yesterday and I noticed that when I fired, the paintball would leave the barrel, go straight for about 10 feet, then completly spiral off-- it was unreal. I know this is due to the velocity, which i quickly adjusted via the quick adjuster in the back *just a little knob you turn* I turned it both in and out and did test shots and the same thing happened... Is my gun defective :( or could it have been the paint I was using? Thanks.

tater_salad
05-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Are you using co2? If you are it might be that.

Kenny_McCormic
05-14-2007, 12:28 PM
bad paint or a diry barrel will cause that i can keep pmi super swirl in a 6x6inch circle@50 feet with the gun in my sig

RiotSauce
05-14-2007, 12:31 PM
I used CO2 and my barrel was completly clean. The paintballs worked fine in my friends tippmann 98

RiotSauce
05-14-2007, 12:37 PM
acutally-- Im looking at the barrel right now and although no balls broke in it that day, it was-- oily? thats as much as i can describe it.

Kenny_McCormic
05-14-2007, 12:38 PM
its the co2 buy a 72/3000 solid bottle of av for $64 if u can afford it
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=BoOwTLT3VnewR_K_zs5w5L4-ORWkRG29Tss=?ProductID=OAKsFAY7hlsAAAD5MtFJBmGq

RiotSauce
05-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Sigh only problem is I dont think there is anyone near me who does N2... I mean, when i turned the velocity knob, i sensed that the velocity never changed... but who knows :(

Critical
05-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Switching to N2 isn't going to solve your problem here, even if it is a velocity problem. You say the barrel looked oily? That can easily be paint residue. What type of barrel is it, or is it the stock TL-R barrel? when you were messing with the velocity adjuster, were you over a chrono, so you could see what changes you were actually making? Did you strip down the marker and clean everything before and after the game? Right now, it sounds more like you have a dirty/fouled marker, rather than a velocity problem, especially since you say the same paint worked fine in other markers.

RiotSauce
05-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Yes, the barrel is oily, it was the stock sniper barrel that came with the gun. To tell you the truth it was only the second time i used it-- so i doubt it could be a really messy inside of the gun. I was not over a chrono-- the balls kept spinning how they did no matter what i turned the velocity to. I cleaned out the barrel and even the area where it connects to the gun as that was oily too. Ill fire a few rounds and see how it goes.

Critical
05-14-2007, 01:06 PM
First, read this (http://www.ottersccustoms.com/upkeep.html#clean) then perform the maintenance as described. Then, chrono your marker to a standard velocity (approximately 280fps). If your marker is still doing it, then look into upgrading parts, looking for problems. Just because a marker is new, doesn't mean it's clean.

MVS1
05-14-2007, 04:15 PM
If your shooting to hot, 300 fps or more your paint is going to fly all over the place, I've found that 265 to 285 fps gives the best results, and like critical also mentioned clean your barrel. If you want maximum accuracy and efficiency then a barrel kit with backs that can be matched to the diameter of the paint you are shooting is the next thing you should be thinking about picking up.