PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices

vikingshadow
05-14-2007, 04:08 AM
Well, gas has reached an all-time high around Woodward, OK - 3.19/gallon. (While I know this isn't as high as other areas in the country, realize that here in Oklahoma, average monthly income is somewhere around the bottom 5 percent of the nation. So, while the AVERAGE gas price in the country is 3.07, where paying MORE than that. Also consider that due to the amount of income Oklahomans have, what is high for other areas in the country is ridiculous here!) Compound that by having the 3rd highest oil production in the country, it just doesn't make sense.

Why doesn't the government step in? Back in the early 90's, Gerber company (yeah, baby food etc) tried this same stunt and the government shut them down in a hurry! I don't understand why this oil companies are making record shattering profits, yet the price keeps going up. And my second point is, why do we, as the nation's public, put up with it?

Grrrrrrrrr, I guess we can add this to the "Are cars worth it?" thread I made a few weeks ago!

OOB
05-14-2007, 05:42 AM
The gov. wont step in because a number of them are getting a lot of money from it. And we know that the prices are BS because last time they where this high and oil companies where accused of price gougeing(SP) and the prices dropped by a buck per gallon over night... huh wonder why?

vwjimmy
05-14-2007, 05:48 AM
It is hard to step in when you took their check ;)
Gerber, being a solitary entity, has a finate resource pool to draw from...
Oil companies, being several and worldwide, have far greater resources, and better channels with which to funnel it into political campaigns, PAC's and funds...

shunut
05-14-2007, 06:06 AM
Gas here seems to be going up about $0.05 a day lately. You can find gas for $3.09 a gallon but at most gas stations I've been seeing $3.12-$3.17.

I read somewhere that the nation regular unleaded gas price per gallon is like $0.50-$0.60 more expensive than the price of gas last year, but the price of crude oil per barrel is like $20 cheaper. The reason the government won't do anything is because all the politicians, including our fearless leader, are making money off of it.

It would be nice if we could stage a nationwide boycott of gas. Not just one of those 1 day things, we'd have to do it for at least a week if not more. Unfortunately, we depend on gas too much, and all the oil companies know that.

Critical
05-14-2007, 07:10 AM
It's not the gas companies who are making record profits. The single largest profit in the oil industry goes to....that's right boys and girls THE GOVERNMENT! They make, combined, anywhere from 30-50 cents PER Gallon in taxes, and they don't even do anything to help make it, produce it, refine it, distribute it or sell it. The average gas station owner makes something like 7 cents per gallon. I do also have to point out that the President and Vice-President are forbidden from making money like that. That's why every President for at least the past 4 or 5 have sold their portfolios to avoid conflicts of interest. Instead of complaining about the price of gas and how the oil companies are making out (even if they are, last time I checked, Kingman is allowed to price their markers at whatever price they want to, why can't Exxon? Because we need it? Save me from altruism!) why not do something about it? Contact your local, state and national representatives, tell them that you are not happy with their positions on this. Tell them that you expect YOUR GOVERNMENT to lead the way to finding cheaper gas and alternative fuels.

Drill ANWR now!

Allow offshore drilling in California and Florida!

Build new, modern, refineries (something that hasn't been done in 30-odd years)!

Invest (with real money, not BS "gov't study" money) in alternative fuels!

durrell
05-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Like Critical said..it's all about the taxes. The federal government gets like 20 cent per gallon in NC and our state government gets a whopping 40 cents..we have one of the highest state gas taxes in the nation. :thumbup:

Gas is still 2.89 here though..we haven't gotten anywhere near 3.00 :D

MVS1
05-14-2007, 08:20 AM
It's $3.45 for 87 octane on base and $3.50+ out in town around here. I love how they keep saying that the problem isn't not having enough oil, the problem is how expensive the refinement process is (all of the sudden). Couple that with the fact that we export the vaste majority of our own petroleum products to other countries (our so called allies) and then buy petroleum products from the worlds biggest crooks, OPEC. Gotta love global politics. OPEC:nutkick:US

Hoppy11
05-14-2007, 08:30 AM
3.29 here.. it was like 35 flipping dollars to fill up MY car the other day. Last friday we took the boat out.. 45 dollars to get HALF a tank. We have to run our boat on midgrade too so that is like 3.39. Its going to suck if this continues through the summer.

VS3 Sniper
05-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Well considering pres. Bush owns a oil company himself of course hes not going to step in he is getting super rich. And all of his buddies are getting rich. "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer".

durrell
05-14-2007, 08:58 AM
3.29 here.. it was like 35 flipping dollars to fill up MY car the other day. Last friday we took the boat out.. 45 dollars to get HALF a tank. We have to run our boat on midgrade too so that is like 3.39. Its going to suck if this continues through the summer.

Gas prices are expected to hit 4.00 a gallon after Memorial Day..

Critical
05-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Well considering pres. Bush owns a oil company himself...

No, he doesn't

...of course hes not going to step in he is getting super rich. And all of his buddies are getting rich...

Last time I checked, Congress was the place that created legislation, which is what would need to be changed.

..."The rich get richer and the poor get poorer"...

What about those of us who are less than rich, but are getting richer every day? That philosophy doesn't leave mush room for us.

Nenkitsune
05-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Like Critical said..it's all about the taxes. The federal government gets like 20 cent per gallon in NC and our state government gets a whopping 40 cents..we have one of the highest state gas taxes in the nation. :thumbup:

Gas is still 2.89 here though..we haven't gotten anywhere near 3.00 :D
In fayetville it's at 2.99 (as of last night) i'm mad....stupid gas prices.

Ace24
05-14-2007, 09:24 AM
The gov. wont step in because a number of them are getting a lot of money from it. And we know that the prices are BS because last time they where this high and oil companies where accused of price gougeing(SP) and the prices dropped by a buck per gallon over night... huh wonder why?
Exactly.

My friends and I were thinking of going online, to some major website that EVERYONE looks at and posting something on the front page about boycotting a specific gas station chain. Then as no one would go there, they would be forced to lower their prices and then once the prices were significantly lowered, we would all start going there again and the other stations would lose buisness so they would also be forced into lowering their prices. Sort of a chain reaction.

The lowest price around here is at Delta Sonic and Sams club. But Hess in my neighborhood is the lowest out of any of the major gas stations around here.

$2.939

Hoppy11
05-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Gas prices are expected to hit 4.00 a gallon after Memorial Day..

Don't talk anymore.

durrell
05-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Ban?

Hoppy11
05-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Matt isn't around.

shunut
05-14-2007, 10:07 AM
We don't need Matt to ban you Hoppy, wanna see ;)

Last time I checked, Congress was the place that created legislation, which is what would need to be changed.

But they'll never do it, and Bush would never let them do it. Despite what you may think or know about Bush selling off his portfolios full of oil stocks, he is still making money off the oil companies and the rising gas prices. Maybe at this moment in time the oil companies aren't putting money in his pocket directly, but one way or another he is making money, thats why he isn't doing anything.

Critical
05-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with that. He probably is making some very indirect money. I just want the blame put everywhere it's deserved. Blame ALL the idiots, not just one.

shunut
05-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Definitely. I've never met a politician that I like, mainly because none of them are honest. I'm all for blaming all of them.

durrell
05-14-2007, 11:29 AM
So let's fault the president for having oil stocks? What about the millions of other people that are share holders in the oil companies? They aren't to blame. He can't do a thing about it by himself. It's the idiot Democrats in Congress who refuse to pass any kind of drilling legislation because of all the tree huggers.

STRIKEFIRST
05-14-2007, 11:46 AM
So let's fault the president for having oil stocks? What about the millions of other people that are share holders in the oil companies? They aren't to blame. He can't do a thing about it by himself. It's the idiot Democrats in Congress who refuse to pass any kind of drilling legislation because of all the tree huggers.

QFT

There is a way to drill without devastating the environment.

And these middle eastern oil empires know for a fact that we won't be able to use our own resources anytime soon.

$3.29 a gallon. :mad:

I'm only using BP currently...supposedly they use no middle eastern oil...If only everyone would follow suit maybe it would send a message. :mad:

vikingshadow
05-14-2007, 12:56 PM
As contradictory as it sounds, I don't really think this has much to do with lining their own pockets with the money they make through stocks (althought they are) and such...rather, I think that they have deals going on making it possible for them to be re-elected.

I just think it's utterly ridiculous that they can't do anything about it. In this case, there are documented cases of the gas prices actually CRIPPLING the economy and hurting the very people that are lining said pockets of politicians, then in turn about hurting the companies themselves. Then, hurting retail in other businesses as well because there won't be any shoppers. So on and so forth...it's a downward spiral.

So, they aren't looking at the long term side effects, rather the short term gain. I wonder when the nation is going to wake up and say, "Enough. I don't NEED to drive as much as I did - I can shop in the local grocery that's just two blocks away, I can ride my bicycle or walk to work - or take public transportation. You screwed us over, now we're screwing you over."

Or, am I an idiot because we just can't give up our need for gasoline?

Critical
05-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I can't argue with any part of your comment, except maybe the idiot part, I'll leave that up to people who know you. You hit the nail on the head though, regardless of who ends up being "to blame," it is very shortsighted, however, they've gotten away with it for so long because our economy in all other ereas has been blazing along. I wish I could go public trans. or bike, but I drive 50-150 miles a day for work.

colonel_moo
05-14-2007, 01:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Encrypted87/XOMcopy.jpg

thats all i have to say

BrianT
05-14-2007, 01:49 PM
it's only $3 a gallon over here. i drive a honda, i'm not going to complain. plus i don't anywhere that much.

shunut
05-15-2007, 07:29 AM
I listened to a report on the news this morning about gas prices and they say the problem is (like critical said) the refineries. They said the best thing we could do to see a drastic reduction in gas prices is cut back on what we use. They said if everyone in America cut back and saved 1 gallon of gasoline a month, we would see a big change. I think it would be easy for all of us to cut something out, do something differently to try a save gas.

I'm purposing that we do a SOC fuel saving campaign. Everybody decide to make a change to save gas. Whether its start a car pool at work, take public transportation or give up that morning run to Starbucks for coffee, whatever it takes. If we do this and tell other people about our campaign it will spread far past our forum.

I've decided to give up my morning coffee. If I want coffee I can either make my own or I can walk to Starbucks, its only a mile away. I've also decided that I'm going to start taking public transportation when possible. I know that my doctor's appointments in Phoenix are 54 miles round trip. In my car that is about 2 gallons of gas. From now on I will take the bus to those appointments. The bus ride is a 2 hour bus drive but I think its worth it.

What can you guys do to cut back on gas?

vikingshadow
05-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Well, school's about out, so that saves the trip back and forth every day for me. I'll be home again this summer, so instead of driving to the quick stop, or icee stand, I'll walk!

Voodoo27909
05-15-2007, 10:11 AM
The Government gets 9.3 percent of every gallon of gasoline sold. Thats more than the gas companies actually get. As far as a boycott goes....it simply would not effect the pricing in the slightest. Anyone who boycotts is going to buy the same amount, either by getting it the day before the boycott, or the day after the boycott. The boycott is actually in effect for today, Tuesday May 15th. the only way a boycott could work in reality is for Americans to not drive at all on the day of the boycott. Anyone interested in not going to work, or not taking the kids to school, or not doing their banking...food shopping...doctors appointments...ETC?

Gas prices suck, and realistically we are getting fleeced, but unfortunatly a boycott is not the answer.

Critical
05-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Gas prices suck, and realistically we are getting fleeced, but unfortunatly a boycott is not the answer.

Simple answer: Boycott the Government!

STRIKEFIRST
05-15-2007, 11:24 AM
I listened to a report on the news this morning about gas prices and they say the problem is (like critical said) the refineries. They said the best thing we could do to see a drastic reduction in gas prices is cut back on what we use. They said if everyone in America cut back and saved 1 gallon of gasoline a month, we would see a big change. I think it would be easy for all of us to cut something out, do something differently to try a save gas.

I'm purposing that we do a SOC fuel saving campaign. Everybody decide to make a change to save gas. Whether its start a car pool at work, take public transportation or give up that morning run to Starbucks for coffee, whatever it takes. If we do this and tell other people about our campaign it will spread far past our forum.

I've decided to give up my morning coffee. If I want coffee I can either make my own or I can walk to Starbucks, its only a mile away. I've also decided that I'm going to start taking public transportation when possible. I know that my doctor's appointments in Phoenix are 54 miles round trip. In my car that is about 2 gallons of gas. From now on I will take the bus to those appointments. The bus ride is a 2 hour bus drive but I think its worth it.

What can you guys do to cut back on gas?

We quit going for country drives for the heck of it...I already moved closer to work.

Gas prices within a mile...Admiral $3.29 Speedway $3.49 Meijer $3.19 Shell $3.22

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

durrell
05-15-2007, 11:43 AM
We only have BP gas stations around here. Gas is up to 2.98 now..a 9 cent increase in 24 hours.

bamf-hacker
05-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Here is the answer to gas prices..

BAN Hoppy

for real it is almost at $3.00 a gallon here in VA and I drive a lot!!! I work an hour away from my house and it cost me about $50 to fill my tank.

Something really needs to be done about the gas companies.

shunut
05-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Well, school's about out, so that saves the trip back and forth every day for me. I'll be home again this summer, so instead of driving to the quick stop, or icee stand, I'll walk!

Thats what I'm talking about. By doing that Vike you are doing 2 things. 1. Helping reduce gasoline consumption and 2. Getting exercise.

Even something as little as packing your lunch and bringing it to work so you don't have to drive somewhere to get food everyday would do a lot.

vikingshadow
05-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Even something as little as packing your lunch and bringing it to work so you don't have to drive somewhere to get food everyday would do a lot.

I do that already! ;) It gets too expensive to eat out every day!

Hoppy11
05-15-2007, 02:33 PM
OK.. here is my solution, unless you pull something like a boat or trailer all the time, get rid of your flipping truck and or suv. I know families like suv's because it holds the family and I understand that, but the single people driving suv's and trucks just for the hell of it isn't helping. Josh is right, ALL of us drive alot for no reason, do I really need subway when I have plenty of food in my house? Yes.. but thats beside the point, lol. :D

The whole boycott the gas stations for one day thing is stupid too.. do you honestly think they care??? And I went into town today and there were just as many people getting gas today as there are any other day.. Guess we showed them. I guess my biggest thing is still the driving a truck or suv for no reason and then *****ing about gas prices, you are doing it to yourself if you are one of those people.

Oh and BAMF.. I lol'd. :)

BrianT
05-15-2007, 04:54 PM
i think that it's funny. the only people that complain about the gas prices in town are the people who drive the gas guzzlers.

vikingshadow
05-16-2007, 03:58 AM
I don't find it funny at all. This is a serious financial problem to a lot of people in our nation, my own family included. We're cancelling all our summer trips (except one that involves other people) and we've limited our driving to just going where we need to. When it costs nearly 70-80 dollars to fill one vehicle, you can't be doing this every week! However, in my town it's not the "gas guzzler" drivers that are complaining. I don't drive a gas guzzler, nor does my wife, nor does anyone else that I know, and we're all complaining - and yes, to our congressmen as well - but it's not doing any good. We get the same BS that is being spewed by the president of Shell, so that tells me something is going on.

Not to be rude, but how old are you BrianT? I only ask because I don't know you. Do you drive yet? Are you an adult with a multitude of other bills to pay, which by the way are also rising as the gas prices go up (ie air conditioning and heating costs are skyrocketing, water/trash bills going up because the city has to pay for fuel for their big trash trucks and employees to travel around checking meters, food costs are getting higher because of this gas pricing as well, etc.)? If you aren't, then laugh all you want. I'm sure the people in charge of you are feeling the bite. Gas may be WAY up there by the time you get old enough to understand. However, in my town, the ONLY people that AREN'T complaining are the rich people who don't have to worry about it so much - oh, and who drive gas guzzlers.

Yes, there's MUCH more involved than just the price at the pump, and that's why we need to take action, because no one else will. Granted - 300 people by themselves won't change anything, but by telling your friends, then them telling their friends and so on, something might happen. And no more of this "boycotting" crap - it just doesn't work!

Sorry for the rant, but it's attitudes just like "I think it's funny" that are allowing companies to get away with this type of behavior in America. We've become a nation of big talkers, no action wienies and big corporations know this.

shunut
05-16-2007, 05:38 AM
I hear ya vike. I am not in the same situation that you are in but I feel it too. Being disabled I am on a fixed income. As the gas prices go up and up I have less and less money to live on.

STRIKEFIRST
05-16-2007, 12:50 PM
OK.. here is my solution, unless you pull something like a boat or trailer all the time, get rid of your flipping truck and or suv. I know families like suv's because it holds the family and I understand that, but the single people driving suv's and trucks just for the hell of it isn't helping. Josh is right, ALL of us drive alot for no reason, do I really need subway when I have plenty of food in my house? Yes.. but thats beside the point, lol. :D

The whole boycott the gas stations for one day thing is stupid too.. do you honestly think they care??? And I went into town today and there were just as many people getting gas today as there are any other day.. Guess we showed them. I guess my biggest thing is still the driving a truck or suv for no reason and then *****ing about gas prices, you are doing it to yourself if you are one of those people.

Oh and BAMF.. I lol'd. :)

Gas has now hit $3.49 everywhere

You can take my SUV the same day you take my .40 S&W out of my cold dead hand.

I have a 2003 blazer...I hunt, I fish, I camp...do i pull anything...only if I rent a uhaul trailer. To do those things in a car is almost impossible...you ever try to strap a deer to a 1997 cavalier? it ain't safe nor easy. Thats why I bought the Blazer...16 city 21 highway. Ever try to go anywhere with a family in a small car...in town fine...any distance...goodluck!

I drive as little as possible. Once every two weeks we go shopping and hit all stores in one trip. If I forgot something I pick it up on the way home from work...no unnecessary trips in my house.

I use 2 Gallons of gas a day if I don't have to go out of the office for meetings...If I do we carpool as much as possible.

I hate when people preach about SUV's...I'm an outdoorsman AND I don't live in California...we do get lots of stuff called SNOW...it can get pretty dangerous and we are adults now so work doesn't recognize a SNOW DAY!

Before you ask about the cavalier...my first new car purchase ever...I drove that thing for 9 years and couldnt afford insurance and upkeep on 2 vehicles...even though I make decent money...so when I bought the Blazer, I sold it to my brother with 165k miles on it...12 months later it still get 30 on the highway...but it still isn't safe for my 5 year old as my Blazer is.

Ok my rant is over...

My NEXT SUV will be a Hybrid though...that is for sure.

kidonfire
05-16-2007, 01:14 PM
It's getting totally outrageous. 3.50 for gas here. I am in an aviation training post, and me and my instructor went to fill up the plane. It cost almost $120! and we only got like 25 - 30 gallons.

tater_salad
05-16-2007, 01:20 PM
It's $3.07 here:D

Hoppy11
05-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Gas has now hit $3.49 everywhere

You can take my SUV the same day you take my .40 S&W out of my cold dead hand.

I have a 2003 blazer...I hunt, I fish, I camp...do i pull anything...only if I rent a uhaul trailer. To do those things in a car is almost impossible...you ever try to strap a deer to a 1997 cavalier? it ain't safe nor easy. Thats why I bought the Blazer...16 city 21 highway. Ever try to go anywhere with a family in a small car...in town fine...any distance...goodluck!

I drive as little as possible. Once every two weeks we go shopping and hit all stores in one trip. If I forgot something I pick it up on the way home from work...no unnecessary trips in my house.

I use 2 Gallons of gas a day if I don't have to go out of the office for meetings...If I do we carpool as much as possible.

I hate when people preach about SUV's...I'm an outdoorsman AND I don't live in California...we do get lots of stuff called SNOW...it can get pretty dangerous and we are adults now so work doesn't recognize a SNOW DAY!

Before you ask about the cavalier...my first new car purchase ever...I drove that thing for 9 years and couldnt afford insurance and upkeep on 2 vehicles...even though I make decent money...so when I bought the Blazer, I sold it to my brother with 165k miles on it...12 months later it still get 30 on the highway...but it still isn't safe for my 5 year old as my Blazer is.

Ok my rant is over...

My NEXT SUV will be a Hybrid though...that is for sure.

I understand ALL of that and agree with you. My rant was ment for the stupid people that drive them and don't use them for their purpose. Im a hick.. I do all of those things too and we have a boat that we trailer so we have a Durango. If you buy and SUV and use it for the correct purposes then awsome, but all of the people that just buy it for a daily driver that could easily get by with a car, but they still complain about gas prices are the people I hate.

I understand that people need trucks and suvs and I am one of those people.. well my dad is, I drive a Honda Civic.. lol, but that is good because for me to have a truck and drive to and from Detroit all of the time would be stupid. People could just be smarter.. Thats asking alot though. :nododgy:

durrell
05-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Thank God for 6 cylinder 4 wheel drives. I can do everything I love and still get 20 miles to the gallon. :)

Hoppy11
05-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Yea, but you drive a car with a minature truck bed in it ;)

Jegger24
05-16-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm with Strikefirst... I am a hunter, fisher, camper, snowmobiler, etc. I live in Minnesota and it is terrible here in the winter without a truck or SUV. I shake my head in the spring and summer driving my pickup, but I appreciate it more and more when fall and winter roll around.

And gas is at $3.15 here...price drop from $3.19 :dodgy:

durrell
05-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Yea, but you drive a car with a minature truck bed in it ;)

It gets me places any other truck would get me..so I'm happy. I don't need to be getting 8 miles to the gallon to feel like a Redneck. :)

STRIKEFIRST
05-17-2007, 04:56 AM
I understand ALL of that and agree with you. My rant was ment for the stupid people that drive them and don't use them for their purpose. Im a hick.. I do all of those things too and we have a boat that we trailer so we have a Durango. If you buy and SUV and use it for the correct purposes then awsome, but all of the people that just buy it for a daily driver that could easily get by with a car, but they still complain about gas prices are the people I hate.

I understand that people need trucks and suvs and I am one of those people.. well my dad is, I drive a Honda Civic.. lol, but that is good because for me to have a truck and drive to and from Detroit all of the time would be stupid. People could just be smarter.. Thats asking alot though. :nododgy:

Even a samller car for work is out of the question....a civic or small car on a construction site (when a make field visits) is bad news. more poor cavalier suffered for it.

bamf-hacker
05-17-2007, 05:19 AM
Thank God for 6 cylinder 4 wheel drives. I can do everything I love and still get 20 miles to the gallon. :)

QFT!!!

Love me my Honda, But it still cost me $50 to fill up my tank :(

vikingshadow
05-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Something's got to be done somewhere - check this video out. It talks about the cost of food as I mentioned before. Summer's gonna be tough!

Gas related to food costs (http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?f=00&g=450c258a-75ff-4fd4-9123-7a3e379a8ef0&p=hotvideo_m_edpicks&t=m5&rf=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/?search=MSNBC&q=gas+prices&id=11881780&FORM=AE&os=0&gs=1&p=1&fg=)

Nenkitsune
05-17-2007, 08:47 AM
when i move back to az, i won't have a car. my truck has over a grand in work that needs to be done, which i can't pay for. I'll have my bike XP which is fine for me. i lived in az for 15 years with just my bike. that, and there's so much near by i'll easily be able to find a job and just buy a new car, which i will regret once i realize gas is prob 30 cents higher out there.

BrianT
05-17-2007, 02:24 PM

i feel the same way. if you can get but with a car then thats what you should drive. don't get an SUV if you don't need it.

vikingshadow
05-19-2007, 04:32 AM
Ok, 7 days from my first post mentioning gas at 3.19/ gallon. Got gas last night at 3.38/gallon! .19 cents in one freaking week!

You can't tell me someone isn't gouging someone. .19 cents? 7 days? Gas is that scarce it goes up almost a quarter? We're looking at almost a 1.00 more than this time a year ago (well, more like 80 cents or so....)

My question, and forgive me for it being a logical one - a quick stop gets a full fill in their storage tank on day 1. Price goes up to 3.19. I can see this - company charges more for gas, so they have to raise their prices as well. Ok. Now, 2 days later, gas SUDDNELY goes to 3.30/gallon on the same blessed fill they got a couple days ago. Wait a minute! That just doesn't seem right! Did the gas they put in the ground suddenly get up, go to the cashier and hold a gun to the quick stop's head and demand more money? No? Well, what's the explanation for this, then?

I seriously think there is MUCH more to the gas story than people are being led to believe. I think the "We aren't making any money on gas" story they've been telling us is a bunch of hogwash.

Time to air up the bicycle tires and buy that nifty basket I saw the 4 year old neighbor girl sporting the other day! Unfortunately, I'm not so sure what this will do to the paintball thing....

Jegger24
05-19-2007, 04:56 AM
Wednesday May 16th, 2007...gas is $3.15 a gallon...a "price drop" :dodgy: from $3.19.

Thursday May 17th, 2007... gas goes up to $3.25 a gallon

Friday May 18th, 2007... gas goes up to...why not another $0.10... $3.35

The rich get richer, the poor get poorer

Everyone who is responsible for the price gouging----> :nutkick: <------ US

MadMan66
05-19-2007, 10:08 AM
this sucks! i just got my license this week and now it hit $3.35 and i drive a big blazer that guzzles gas.

durrell
05-19-2007, 10:11 AM
I just paid 3.16 a gallon..that's the cheapest I could find.

Hossy
05-19-2007, 10:51 AM
i refilled my dads truck the other day when i was driving....
90 bucks is a pain in the butt

vikingshadow
05-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Hahaha! My wife told me she found gas at two places in town for 3.25. They were BOTH sold out and had to shut their pumps down early!

I filled my car with about 70.00. My wife's car has the same size tank as mine. Figure every other week at 140.00 or so = 280.00+ a month. That comes out to over 3000.00 a year just in gas! I don't know about you guys, but I don't have that much disposable income, especially on top of my other habits (paintball, eating, drinking water, etc....)

Hoppy11
05-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Vike, I like how you put paintball before eating and drinking water, lol.

Friday night I filled up for 3.49.. today, got gas at 3.38.. I agree with vike, how the hell does gas change price unless the station gets refilled.

vikingshadow
05-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Well, ya know a guy's gotta have priorities!

Ok, Gas dropped to 3.28 yesterday from 3.38. I had a half tank in my car, so I filled it all the way up. 38.00 and some change. Watch - now it'll drop another 20 cents overnight!

kidonfire
05-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Gas dropped a TON. I found a Quick Trip with gas for 3.05. Amazing....

STRIKEFIRST
05-21-2007, 05:33 AM
Gas went down here to 3.39...so that means they can jack it up to almost 4 bucks for the holiday...we cancelled are plans.

All of you "older" folks remember the gad crisis in the 70's...my step dad was a cop and had a friend that was a gas distributor...he said that he never had to worry about gas his buddy had all kinds of reserves...years worth of reserves that he just wasn't "allowed" to release...I'll have to ask who was doing the "allowing" next time I talk to him.

Anyway now its time to play the how low will it go how long do I wait to fill up before the weekend blood letting of american gas consumers.

Nenkitsune
05-21-2007, 09:09 AM
it's still in the 3.09-3.15 range here. Luckily, i'm quitting my job at the end of the week, and next thursday i move to AZ with no car. I'll just take the bus and find a job haha.

vikingshadow
07-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Well, in the few months that this thread has been dead, gas dropped to about 2.85/gal. Yesterday, gas shot to 3.05, and today - all the way to 3.25. .20 in one night - tell me how THAT happens?

Grrrrrr........seems this will be an all summer nightmare!

badlandsrox
07-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Well, in the few months that this thread has been dead, gas dropped to about 2.85/gal. Yesterday, gas shot to 3.05, and today - all the way to 3.25. .20 in one night - tell me how THAT happens?

Grrrrrr........seems this will be an all summer nightmare!

haha, thats nothing, ours is "low" right now, and its $3.86 currently.

EDIT: and the even stupider part, is that i live in one of the largest areas of oil, etc in north america, you would think that the prices would at least be a little lower...

Ace24
07-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Over here in NY... at least in Rochester, the prices have been pretty steady for the past month or so.

3.029 is the price right now.

Further south in Owego we found gas for $2.979 :eek:

wylde01
07-10-2007, 12:04 PM
right now in oklahoma city i can get if for about 3.05, but it rose to that in one night from around 2.95

newkid
07-10-2007, 02:37 PM
it was 2.85 pretty much all last week, then it has rose to 2.98

marvin-martian
07-10-2007, 02:46 PM
i dont think its jumped here yet. it was gradually falling for the past couple months. now its easy to find a 2.73.

durrell
07-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah it's at 2.79 here.

vwjimmy
07-10-2007, 05:59 PM
haha, thats nothing, ours is "low" right now, and its $3.86 currently.

Canadian money isen't worth anything anyway K!!! ;)

Must need some money at Mobil/Exxon for a new CEO retirement program!!

Hob Hayward
07-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Because the Billions they were getting already isn't enough...

vikingshadow
07-10-2007, 06:23 PM
They're "blaming" it on a high demand, low supply thing - and the fact that a local refinery (somewhere in Kansas) is flooded so that's making it worse - pshhh. Whatever. I'm going to build my OWN refinery from the Virtual Stock Exchange winnings and sell gas on my own - call it Viking's Gas - one shot of this will drive you berserk!

marvin-martian
07-10-2007, 06:25 PM
those virtual stock exchange winnings will get you far...

vikingshadow
07-10-2007, 06:27 PM
hehehe! :devil:

You guys just THINK you're playing a virtual game - I'm getting RICH off you guys.....and you'll never figure out how!

Hoppy11
07-10-2007, 06:28 PM
I filled up the other day and it was like 3.30 something.. I was like wtf?!?!?! Gas at the docks is only 3.40 right now and I was shocked to find out that it isn't more. But like Vike was saying two weeks ago I think gas around here was into the 2.70's, I know it was atleast into the 2.80's.. I just bite the bullet............................ and take my dads credit card. :D

vikingshadow
07-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Well, to be honest, I've only filled up twice this whole summer. I've been keeping my promise to walk to places closer and not take off and go every time I think about it.

I still have about 3/4' of a tank and I can probably ride this one out - pardon the pun. My wife, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

Jegger24
07-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Gas jumped up to $3.26 here. Glad I have my HUGE gas saving coupons! :dodgy:

durrell
07-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Well, to be honest, I've only filled up twice this whole summer.

Same here..but I'm about to have to fill up again. :(

xtraking
07-11-2007, 07:31 AM
The cheapest gas is here, is 2.75, the rest is 2.89 and up.
I drive a corolla so i manage.

Hoppy11
07-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I fill up every week and a half to two weeks. I work full time and it is a good 15-20 minute drive to work and then when I get a day off I am always doing something whether it be going out to the lake or golfing but I still drive the civic so the mileage is good atleast. And at the very most it is like 30 to fill up from empty.

newkid
07-11-2007, 09:06 AM
every place in my town is different, 2.95, 3.09, 3.18, 3.23, ect., ect.

applesauce
07-11-2007, 09:13 AM
3.40 here.....this is a joke, there was a little flood, so oild companies thought it would be a good idea to use this 'crisis' to jack prices up past where they were post katrina

STRIKEFIRST
07-13-2007, 06:51 AM
1 tank lasts me about 2 weeks...$3.39 here.

wylde01
08-13-2007, 08:04 AM
sort of an old thread but im fairly happy with the way gas prices are near me right now. driving around yesterday i found it to be $2.57 a gallon. it was $3.05 a month ago, so its a good drop in price. i wish it would get lower but thats the lowest its been all year if i can remember right.

durrell
08-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Don't get too excited. Supposedly oil futures hit a record high last week or 2 weeks ago, I can't remember when I read it, but they're supposed to go back up. Hopefully they'll go back down again as summer ends and the cooler weather sets in.

oldironmudder
08-13-2007, 08:21 AM
$3.05-$3.15 for 92 octane. Only price I look at since my truck cant run on the cheap stuff.

wylde01
08-13-2007, 08:29 AM
well what i had heard about a month ago was that the price for a barrel of oil was the 2nd highest in history. right after that gas started dropping fast untill it ended up like this.

shunut
08-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Gas is at $2.53 a gallon here, but they just do that so we think we are getting a deal. Then they are going to sky rocket again to $3.50 a gallon, then come back down to $3.00 a gallon and we will think we are getting a deal again. It will keep going on, and on, and on, and on like that forever, or until we figure out how to do something about it.

HelpDeskHustler
08-13-2007, 09:27 AM
maybe i grew up in an age where gas prices are just generally high... but I feel like I'm the only one who thinks 2.70 is low... what did prices USED to be?

durrell
08-13-2007, 09:39 AM
maybe i grew up in an age where gas prices are just generally high... but I feel like I'm the only one who thinks 2.70 is low... what did prices USED to be?

I remember gas prices being well under 2 dollars when I was younger.

oldironmudder
08-13-2007, 09:42 AM
I remember seeing a dollar but never really started to watch it til it was $1.60.

I remember when $20 would fill your truck & you could ride all weekend on that.

wylde01
08-13-2007, 09:48 AM
yea im only 17 but can remember when gas was around $1.20-$1.40 in that area of price. that was back in the 90's though :rolling:

edit: it may have been a little higher than that.

marvin-martian
08-13-2007, 10:17 AM
i just filled up at 2.48 yesterday. it felt great.

paintballkid0206
08-13-2007, 11:55 AM
it's about that here. weird. lol. i'm so used to it being 3.30 something.

vikingshadow
08-13-2007, 11:59 AM
I waited and waited and it finally got back to 2.90. I filled up because I was riding the "E", then 2 days later it's at 2.75. Go figure.

HelpDeskHustler
08-13-2007, 12:06 PM
you can make it 2 days on the e?

btw fav. quote in this thread, if you read it without context it's pretty good

I was riding the "E"

shunut
08-13-2007, 12:38 PM
When I got my first car, 1981 BMW 320i, gas was about $1.10-1.20 a gallon.

xsgmike66x
08-13-2007, 12:44 PM
I remember seeing a dollar but never really started to watch it til it was $1.60.

I remember when $20 would fill your truck & you could ride all weekend on that.

takes about $70 to fill my truck :eek: and I have a smaller tank compared to other trucks, only 26gallon.

oldironmudder
08-13-2007, 12:50 PM
That 20 would top off a s10. My F150 has a 20gal front & 18 gal rear & I can put an extra gal. easy in each. Do the math for 92 or 93 octane....

Protan
08-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Drive a fuel efficent car imo. Gas prices same to do the same thing every year, rise in the summer and drop in the winter. In canada it will go from about .85 per liter in the winter to about 1.10 per litre during the summer. We got lucky this year. Last year it went up to 1.30 per litre at one point.

oldironmudder
08-13-2007, 12:55 PM
I was raised on Ford trucks with V8s. So its like trying to tell a crack head to stop, wont work.

Protan
08-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Well its your money not mine. Atleast get a fuel efficent one.