PDA

View Full Version : Impulse Seal Question...

bigred76
05-09-2007, 09:46 PM
OK, I've been searching forever, and can't find the right seal. Yes, I have checked the manual and PBN for the part number. I would think it would be an easy one, but apparently not...

This is a Rat JR Impulse with a vertical Maxxy I'm fixing for a friend. There was a leak coming from the front block area (LPC, Tapeworm, V/A area), and so I went through and checked everything out. All the o-rings on the tapeworm and LPC were fine if a bit dry, but when I took off the Maxxy and unscrewed the V/A screw that goes into the body, the seal on it was... well, it was just bad. I can't even tell if it started life as a seal or an oring, or something else entirely. It looks like the marker's previous owner's cat may have had a go at it. I need to know the o-ring number so I can pick up a replacement.

Any ideas? :confused:

DRAGON
05-10-2007, 12:56 PM
There's a little recess in the top area of the VA when you remove it. It's where the screw that holds the VA on is. In that recess and around the screw(you use an allen wrench to tighten the screw), goes an o-ring. Just go to a local hardware in the plumbing section and find one that fits. I just put one in someone's Imp that I teched for a local pro shop. Forget the exact size but know it was 1/16" thick. You don't need to use poly, buna is just fine. Use a small dab of blue loctite in the VA screw. It seems most people don't know how to properly remove and install the vert reg with the lock nut. They just try to unscrew the reg and turn off the VA as well which causes a leak. They end up paying someone like me $25 to change an o-ring as a result -

bigred76
05-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Ok, I can work from that. Thanks Drago! :)

I knew how to take off the V/A, but the oring was already screwed up. I saw it was squished as soon as I pulled off the vert reg. :( Not very encouraging at all...