PDA

View Full Version : cant make up my mind

spyderpilotacs05
05-08-2007, 03:19 PM
ok ive been in boy scouts for all my life, i am a star scout and for the past year it fells like its not fun anymore. I have been told that eagle scout is not for everyone so i was wondering if i should just stick it out for two more ranks or finish off the year and be done with it?

DRAGON
05-08-2007, 03:38 PM
2 of my boys are Eagle and 1 quit just before Eagle. I think it was to do with pier pressure. My oldest was going to quite when he was about your rank but I convinced him to see it through. He thanked me for it later. Don't know what you mean by Eagle is not for everyone but it will follow you throughout your life. It shows that you can start a task and persevere through completion. There's other benefits to Eagle besides completing a task such as college grants, instant rank if you should decide to join the armed forces as well as others. Far as fun goes, that's up to your troop reps to provide you with events that make it fun and interesting. I know not all troop reps have the inclination to do so. If you're bored with your existing troop, find another that excels. I think if you just stick it out and complete the little that you have left, you'll thank yourself some time in the future. That's my take anyways. DON'T LET PIER PRESSURE PERSUADE YOU TO BE A QUITTER/SLACKER! -

Jegger24
05-08-2007, 03:44 PM
:yeahthat:

I made it to Life rank before time ran out for me... I really regretted it for a long time. I thought working and making money was more important than finishing off as an Eagle.

Hang in there, finish up what little you have left...you will really appreciate it and you will gain pride in completing it too. Don't do what I did and end up on day wishing you could go back and do it. :(

Critical
05-08-2007, 05:41 PM
As an Eagle scout, I can say that having achieved that rank is the sole reason I have made it as far in the business world as I have. Employers can look at that and see that you possess certain qualities that (I hope they still do) the Boy Scouts instill in their best (Eagles) Just like employers want to see college degrees, not so much for what they are in, but for showing that you are willing and able to put forth the effort.

On the other hand, I would also agree that making Eagle is not for everyone. I saw far too many kids who's parents pushed them to make Eagle for them, or who did all their work for them, or kids who are in troops that exist solely as Eagle mills. That's not what it's supposed to be about. If you go for Eagle, do it because you want to, because you agree with the values of an Eagle scout, and if you feel the commitment. Anything else, you'd just be lying to yourself and the troop, and wasting everyone involved's time, including your own.

splater18
05-08-2007, 05:41 PM
do it im life and take hell for it.my dad works for the bsa (district exucitive) so kinda no choice but i wanna do it for me. it looks great later in life so stick with it.

if i find out you quit i will hunt u down

joking:p

clickclicksplat
05-08-2007, 06:28 PM
MEh... I'm pretty much in the same boat you are except I'm only first class. I really have no desire to see it through. I haven't really quit yet, but the only events I really do are the high adventure kind of things... I stopped going after badges and stuff a couple of years ago. Just not enough time to work on it.

vwjimmy
05-08-2007, 06:47 PM
I am an Eagle Scout. (Go Troop 920, San Diego, CA!) At Star, I had all but quit...adulthood comming on strong (or so I thought :) )....
I am SOOOO glad I stuck it out! My Eagle project was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done in my life. I can guarentee you this:
No matter what you do with the rest of your life, you will never regret the decision to finish what you started, and will always regret it if you don't...
My .02

calebh
05-08-2007, 07:43 PM
i just put in all my paperwork for eagle. the day before my 18th birthday lol. all i have left is the board of review :D

if scouting is just that miserable, quit. but i think in the long run, you'll regret giving up the opportunity to be eagle. once you become life, you have 6 months to wait. that's plenty of time to do all the other requirements, including the project. i should know ;) lol. you can stick it out that long, can't you?

btw, how is this "general spyder" stuff?

DRAGON
05-08-2007, 07:59 PM
........btw, how is this "general spyder" stuff?

HUH? :dodgy:

durrell
05-08-2007, 08:59 PM
HUH? :dodgy:

lol, NINJA DRAGO!

But anyway, I got my Gold Medal of Achievement which is supposedly the equivalent of the Eagle Scout for the program I was in (Royal Rangers). I don't think it garners the amount of respect that being an Eagle Scout does, but I can say I worked as hard to achieve it as an Eagle Scout because many of the requirements are the same. The oral review, the service project, and the years of work. After finally achieving it, it feels so good because you feel like you've accomplished something huge. If I was you, I'd stick with it because there are few who can say they've achieved that..especially in today's generation. :)

marvin-martian
05-09-2007, 03:44 AM
i have a good friend who just had his eagle ceremony a week or two ago, and he is very thankful that his parents persuaded him to stay in when he was thinking about quitting at life.

HelpDeskHustler
05-09-2007, 01:25 PM
...pier pressure....DON'T LET PIER PRESSURE PERSUADE YOU TO BE A QUITTER/SLACKER! -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/claustrophobia9/pier5315.jpg
:dodgy:

BrianT
05-09-2007, 02:14 PM
lol ^^^^^^

leed
05-09-2007, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't back out now, you've gotten this far, push on more. I personally quit after Cub Scouts because I never had time for it when I was little, but most of my friends are scouts and are/have been/finished their Eagle project, and I have helped several of them on their projects too. I would say it wouldn't be worth it it to quit now. Not only does it look good on your application to anything, but it should also be a fun experience. Just give it some more time.

calebh
05-09-2007, 09:13 PM
only like 2% of scouts become eagle. if you're part of that two percent, put this in your sig.

lol. but seriously. it's a huge honor cuz so few make it.