PDA

View Full Version : DVD player + computer + OK?

DRAGON
05-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Silly question but imma ask it: anyone know if you can hook up a regular DVD player to a pooter? Providing you have something like Media Player, ect of course. JW if that would.....um...compute? - :o

ZachG86
05-07-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty sure it only works the other way around (i.e. if your PC can play DVDs, you can use the S-Video Out or VGA Out and hook the PC up to a TV and use your PC as a DVD player). The only way you could hook your DVD player up to the PC would be to use just a computer monitor and try to find a RCA to VGA adapter or something similar. In that case you would have to use a stereo or free up a set of computer speakers for the audio, and you might have to buy another adapter for the audio cables.

emf7301
05-07-2007, 04:38 PM
yea, it's possible. One way is to have a vid card with inputs that you can hook up to. There's also other ways that use RCA hookups and then plug into the USB of your computer.

Here's a link to what you are looking for: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=47&name=Video-Devices-TV-Tuners

ZachG86
05-07-2007, 06:44 PM
I stand corrected. I didn't know they made a USB adapter, that's pretty cool.

leed
05-07-2007, 07:26 PM
As shown, they do make cards and adapters for computers so you can use standard RCA Video-Audio cables as an input to your computer. As you can see, they're a bit expensive, and to be honest, PCMIA and USB2.0 or Firewire is kind of laggy, so, if you do anything, get a card to plug into the motherboard.

Just curious, but what are you doing this for?

DRAGON
05-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Was just trying to get around installing a dvd rom drive(mine is fried) but for the price of the player(which is pretty inexpensive now days) and the plug, I'd just be better off installing the drive for that total price. Thing is there are so damned many it's tough to decipher which will properly fit my VAIO....hmmmmmm -

leed
05-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Pretty much anything will fit. Just make sure you set it up right. The actual installation of the hardware is simple, but setting it up is what is the more difficult part.

DRAGON
05-07-2007, 10:01 PM
My concern is the plugs/connectors. I've heard there is a new and old style. If they don't match, I'm stuck sending it back if I purchase online -

DFSniper
05-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Was just trying to get around installing a dvd rom drive(mine is fried) but for the price of the player(which is pretty inexpensive now days) and the plug, I'd just be better off installing the drive for that total price. Thing is there are so damned many it's tough to decipher which will properly fit my VAIO....hmmmmmm -

ah, the good ol' VAIO. i love my moms (before she put too much crap on it), but the way there designed, you cant upgrade the crappy power supply... other than that, you should be able to get a dvd drive for around $30 from NewEgg. what kind of VAIO do you have? because my moms came with a VGA adapter in the front and back, and this was a few years ago.