PDA

View Full Version : 3 days in a row now

vikingshadow
05-06-2007, 05:15 AM
Well, just got up, turned on the weather and it looks like the family and I will be heading to the fraidy-hole again today!

Bad weather started Friday - tornados all around us. I was literally watching one form just to the East of me when I had the wife and kids get in the shelter. That one didn't get enough energy in it and fell apart. Spent about 1 and a half hours with that one.

Last night, I wasn't even watching the weather - I've been fighting a sinus headache for a week, and not getting much sleep so I was watching some mindless tv show to get myself to drift off when my youngest daughter came in and asked for an umbrella to play in the rain. In my haze, I remembered the weather predicting WORSE storms last night, so I quickly turned the channel and they were telling people in Woodward to get to their shelters NOW! We had about 10 minutes and the big storm was going to hit. My wife was at a jewelry party across town, so I called her to get her home, then got the kids dressed, grabbed the dog and off we went.

Last night was brutal - at least one town to the southwest of us was devastated - it would have been MUCH worse, had the town been bigger. But we weren't even close to that particular storm yet. Just as we got to the cellar, I (like all good and proper men) stayed up top and watched it - it was the darkest most ominous storm I've seen in 20 years living here. I watched as the storm fed into two lowerings and dropped two tornadoes just south of town. Fortunately, they bounced right back up. Problem was, these storms were only moving about 15-20 mph, so it was a LONG storm. The sirens went off for this one, my wife makes it home - we both go down inside, the kids are crying and the dog is going nuts....20 minutes later, we come out.

Now, that was just the warmup at about 7:00. A bigger, much more powerful storm was SLOWLY making it's way toward us from the southwest. It was only about 30 miles away, but it frequently anchored itself to the ground (with tornados) and stopped moving predictably. So I left the wife and kids in the cellar, and watched the weather for about an hour - they couldn't seem to figure out what to do with this one....very scary! So, off I go, back to the cellar again. We spend another 30-40 minutes there this tie and come back out to watch even MORE weather.

BUT, the most powerful cell of the night was still behind this one and moving extremely slow, and about two counties away with it's bullseye right on Woodward. Very scary. I think it dropped at least 3 F4 tornados, the weather guys say possibly even an F5, and it hadn't weakened after 3 hours. In fact, it was just as strong as ever. It had hit Sweetwater early, and dropped numerous funnels in the farmlands.

After spending nearly 4 hours in or near the cellar, I bring the family inside and watch the weather around 10:30. A line of storms had developed in the Texas panhandle and were moving this way, but the supercell I was just talking about kept turning right, so we finally moved out of it's path - no more tornados for us last night. However, we continued to get HAMMERED with hail, wind and rain for the rest of the night. About about 4:00, I gave up and headed off to bed.

Jump to 7:30 this morning - I wake up and it's STILL raining, hailing and windy. The weather guys show a large storm over us again and are saying that we have as big of, if not bigger, chance of severe weather again today - only they think it's going to be across a much larger section of the state this time. Thing that worries me is that on Friday and Saturday, the weather in the morning was decent, a little windy, but not bad. Today, it's starting off crappy and it's only going to get worse, according to them. I don't know, but I'm pretty tired.

Forecast shows chances of severe weather today, tomorrow, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Sounds like it's going to be a LONG week.....Don't get me wrong, we aren't the only ones getting hit - as of about 9:00 last night, they mentioned about 50 tornados hitting all up and down a line from Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska. A town in Kansas (Greensburg) was 90% destroyed on Friday night, then got hit again last night. I actually used to live close to Greensburg many years ago.

This is the largest outbreak of storms in this area that I remember in my 41 years. So, if you don't see me on much for the next few days, you pretty much know why now.

tater_salad
05-06-2007, 06:13 AM
We spend another 30-40 minutes there this tiMe and come back out to watch even MORE weather.

Sounds scary and somewhat boring. And you spelled "time" wrong lol.

vikingshadow
05-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Sounds scary and somewhat boring. And you spelled "time" wrong lol.

Yes, because we all know that spelling is a MUCH WORSE ordeal than tornados. :rolleyes:

By the way, you shouldn't start your sentences with "And." One compound sentence, or just leaving the "And" off would have been much better. (See, I can play grammar cop as well....only I get paid to do it, LOL!)

Not really boring - you kind of go into survival mode, and weather isn't really that boring. You learn a lot just watching it.

Update: We are now in another tornado watch, along with flood watches and several storm watches. Looks like it's going to be a fun day!

kidonfire
05-06-2007, 06:47 AM
Good luck and have fun out there. ;) I'm prayin for you.

Oh yeah, get vid if you can. :p

durrell
05-06-2007, 06:50 AM
Stay safe, Vike. I've always wanted to be a tornado chaser, and still to this day would love to do it..but I imagine it's not fun when your house, family, and life are in danger. I'll keep you and your area in my prayers.

vikingshadow
05-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Thanks guys!

D - one thing about tornado chasers is that if you're chasing the tornado, at least you know where it is. That is, unless they happen at night!

Kid - I'll get a vid if I can, but I hope I can't, if you know what I mean!

There is one thing that bugs me though. Apparantly we have a LOT of lookie loos out there this year. The emergency responders and storm chasers are ALL complaining that there are too many people on the roads looking for these things. They showed pictures of cars being picked up and thrown 1/4 mile or more and driven into the ground by the funnels. They actually showed people on I-40 driving in front and right behind a HUGE tornado yesterday. One car had two women in it - they actually went into the funnel, but they must have been living right because the next thing you see is the car on the other side still just driving along like nothing happened. JUST STAY HOME AND GET IN YOUR DANG SHELTERS FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!! Storms are nothing to mess with - I even refer you back to the people who refused to leave when Hurricane Katrina hit. What, you think you can hold back nature's fury?

Sorry, I'm writing lesson plans and typing this at the same time, and the lack of sleep due to my headache and storms are making me cranky, I guess! Be glad you aren't one of my kids, LOL!

Jegger24
05-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Hang in there Vike! We are having some "bad weather" here, but it is nothing compared to where you're at! It is pouring rain and the wind is roaring! There are trees down everywhere along with power lines. The wind even ripped the aluminum fascia off someone's house and it ended up in my yard. I know it isn't from my house at least! :p I hope the weather calms so you and your family can relax.

vikingshadow
05-06-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm telling ya, looking at the weather map, this thing stretches a LONG ways. All the way from Western Texas to apparantly Minnesota where you are. This is a rather long storm...I wonder if the yahoos at PBNation have started the "Global Warming is the cause" tyrades yet!

durrell
05-06-2007, 07:28 AM
I'm telling ya, looking at the weather map, this thing stretches a LONG ways. All the way from Western Texas to apparantly Minnesota where you are. This is a rather long storm...I wonder if the yahoos at PBNation have started the "Global Warming is the cause" tyrades yet!

Oh trust me, as soon as they have something to look at..even after another of the coldest winters on record..they'll argue about it.

And I know what you mean about storm chasing. I considered meteorology but then I looked at the degree and what it entailed and said...no thanks, lol.

Jegger24
05-06-2007, 07:32 AM
...I wonder if the yahoos at PBNation have started the "Global Warming is the cause" tyrades yet!

LOL :D

I like it when we get the mild storms, they are fun to watch... but what you are going through sounds terrible! Hopefully the weather persons are wrong and it breaks soon for ya'.

HelpDeskHustler
05-06-2007, 08:13 AM
"global warming" ftl, "climate shift" ftw. everyone knows snow in april =/= warming.

STRIKEFIRST
05-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Enjoy the "close family time"

Stay safe man...I hate tornados...

durrell
05-06-2007, 08:38 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/Durrell12/vike.jpg

Isn't that where you are vike? :(

vikingshadow
05-06-2007, 09:18 AM
That's it. Looks like there's a line of stuff just to the southwest of us - but I think it may just be rain. There aren't any warnings right now, thank goodness!

Don't get me wrong - we have it MUCH easier than a lot of people in the state....below are a couple of news sites with video of the storms.

This is the newscast from last night (http://www.kfor.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=1416571&h1=Saturday%27s%2010pm%20NewsCast&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=1355700&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&playerVersion=9&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www.kfor.com/Global/category.asp%3FC%3D65857%26nav%3Dmenu99_5&rnd=74515291)(KFOR news.) Remember, all this stuff is within 50 miles of me, but it's moving so dang slowly it takes forever to get here! The main focus of this particular storm was at Sweetwater - it destroyed a school and some houses around it.

Here's (http://www.koco.com/video/13265576/index.html?source=)a page from KOCO channel 5 out of OKC. Mostly the same stuff, but amazing the power of nature when it gets angry!

Watch the Arnett tornado from Friday - I grew up just 7 miles North of there!

DRAGON
05-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Just read that a whole town was leveled in Kansas on AOL. We get this all the time in Florida(cept it's hurricanes) so I know how you feel. Please keep safe and keep us posted -

vikingshadow
05-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Well, here we go! NWS just issued a tornado warning for us until 2:30 which will probably be extended. Looks like the dry line went backwards - AGAIN. This is the fun stuff.

Talk to ya later, fellows!

Update = Just got out of the fraidy hole - as soon as I got the kids in the cellar, the sirens went off. There were at least three reports of circulation over three different areas of town. Fortunately, nothing that I know of was hit here. However, there are at least 3 more lining up behind it. Kind of exciting, kind of scary. At least it's daytime!

I did manage to take some pictures this time on my phone. If I can figure out how to get them from the phone to the computer, I'll post them here. However, it does look like I'll get plenty of chances for pictures tonight...

emf7301
05-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Whatever pictures you do take, just stay safe. I know the tornado excitement and simultaneous fear living in D/FW. They say this crap isn't going to end until the upper level winds move which they say won't happen for several more days at least. We're safe for now here in D/FW because a strong warm air cap from Mexico is overtop of us but if that breaks, we'll be in the same situation you are. You can just tell how much energy is here and if it breaks loose, there is gonna be hell to pay. Only problem here is we don't have a fraidy hole, but then again we don't have line after line of supercells pummeling us either. Best of luck and safety to ya.

durrell
05-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I'd love to check out some pics..but don't risk anything to get them, haha..stay safe.

Edit: Ouch vike, this line looks far worse than earlier..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/Durrell12/vike2.jpg

vikingshadow
05-06-2007, 01:52 PM
The good thing right now is that it's actually a line and not a bunch of supercells. We've had several severe T storm warnings off and on since about noon today, and that one tornado warning back up there a while back, but that's all, so far.

The news guys are saying that further into the center of the state it's sunny and getting warm, so that's going to make the weather out here pretty rough this evening. I figure we're ok for now since they haven't had continuous coverage for awhile now - actually listening to a basketball game right now.

emf - these guys are telling us to expect this all the way through Thursday evening. Won't this be a fun week? Right now, I'd settle for someone somewhere else to get this for awhile - either East of us or West - or Hell, even further North or South, just for a change!

newkid
05-06-2007, 03:20 PM
man that sucks