PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Career Input Needed

marvin-martian
05-01-2007, 03:43 PM
I have been interested in cars for some time now, and have a dream of racing touring cars. After a little research, I found out its pretty much a lost cause. Then i began to think about what else to do in the high-end automotive world and how to get there, but having little luck thinking of anything. I am currently thinking of getting an associates in automotive tech at a community college, then transferring to a university for some sort of bach degree. Another idea I had was to get a degree in journalism and right reviews for someone; better yet, becoming a Jeremy Clarkson. The problem is that I have no idea where to go from there. I'm also afraid that I'm going to end up changing oil and brake pads all my life.

Can anybody lead me in a good direction?

vwjimmy
05-01-2007, 03:51 PM
PM me dude.....
I'll hook you up with everything you ever wanted to know ;)

Critical
05-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Don't give up. My brother-in-law graduated from Lincoln Tech. While he was there, a race team in the Rolex sports car series came in and told his whole class they needed interns. He showed up at their shop, and spent 2 seasons in the pit and as the fuel guy for one of their cars. Went all over North America, got to work on 3 Porcshe GT Cup series cars (I think that's what they were) and got a ton of experience in the racing world.

marvin-martian
05-01-2007, 04:23 PM
ill gather some specialized questions to PM you.

Don't give up. My brother-in-law graduated from Lincoln Tech. While he was there, a race team in the Rolex sports car series came in and told his whole class they needed interns. He showed up at their shop, and spent 2 seasons in the pit and as the fuel guy for one of their cars. Went all over North America, got to work on 3 Porcshe GT Cup series cars (I think that's what they were) and got a ton of experience in the racing world.
i would absolutely love to do that kind of thing, but he got lucky. did he happen to ask how you get there without them coming to find you?

vwjimmy
05-01-2007, 05:05 PM
ill gather some specialized questions to PM you.

i would absolutely love to do that kind of thing, but he got lucky. did he happen to ask how you get there without them coming to find you?

He did not 'get lucky'....
You will not get those oportunities getting a AS from a local tech school though.....
There are specialized auto tech schools around the country that these kind of programs draw from because of their level of training, and their exposure...

durrell
05-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Dude..go somewhere like UTI in western NC. It is THE automotive school..

http://www.uticorp.com/default.aspx?tabid=254

They came to my auto mechanics class and it seemed like a really cool place. And I'm assuming you're not very into NASCAR, but going there could get you a job in NASCAR. Then possibly working for someone like DEI (Dale Earnhardt, Inc.) you could get into their touring side of racing with the Corvettes.

marvin-martian
05-01-2007, 05:12 PM
I wasnt aware that Lincoln Tech was a special automotive school. I was assuming it was a larger university, and the team randomly popped in. sorry about that.

D, i was thinking of something like that, but i would like having a degree to fall back on if things dont go as planned.

timmyshoota
05-01-2007, 05:30 PM
ATI is a good local automotive school. Graduating ATI gaurantees you a job at a dealership, and if things don't work out immediately, thats something to fall back on.

colonel_moo
05-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Dude..go somewhere like UTI in western NC. It is THE automotive school..

http://www.uticorp.com/default.aspx?tabid=254

They came to my auto mechanics class and it seemed like a really cool place. And I'm assuming you're not very into NASCAR, but going there could get you a job in NASCAR. Then possibly working for someone like DEI (Dale Earnhardt, Inc.) you could get into their touring side of racing with the Corvettes.

if you go somewhere that doesnt offer degrees, you might as well not go at all

vwjimmy
05-01-2007, 06:43 PM
if you go somewhere that doesnt offer degrees, you might as well not go at all
UTI has Associate programs.....

marvin-martian
05-01-2007, 06:46 PM
"At this time, the UTI Phoenix campus is the only campus approved to offer an Associates of Occupational Studies degree. All other campuses offer either diploma or certificate level programs."

vwjimmy
05-01-2007, 06:52 PM
UTI has Associate programs.....

"At this time, the UTI Phoenix campus is the only campus approved to offer an Associates of Occupational Studies degree. All other campuses offer either diploma or certificate level programs."

Is that not a degree?
Besides, not all careers require a degree to suceed....
I posses a BBA and have never once required that degree...

durrell
05-02-2007, 01:15 PM
In the automotive field a degree is not what matters. If you possess the skills they need and you're good with them, then it doesn't matter if you even graduated from high school..