PDA

View Full Version : Smart Parts Trademark

Oscum Guy
04-27-2007, 01:30 PM
smart parts trademarked the internet slang term 1337. can you believe that?!?

their definition (along the lines): abbreviated term for elite, of the highest class. exp. Russian legion is 1337.

STRIKEFIRST
04-27-2007, 02:52 PM
:roflmao: :roflmao: LOL!!!!!

You used it twice in your post...how much per use?

LOL!!!!!:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

shunut
04-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Where did you hear this?

tater_salad
04-27-2007, 03:18 PM
It is trademarked I seen it in an ACP magazine.

Along with 53k5:Arousing or tending to arouse sexual desire, Greatly appealing or interesting;attractive:
"D00d, ur NXT is teh 53k5!"

And PWND:To have soundly or vividly defeated an opponent at a fair challenge.:"Dave j00 got PWND."

ramen
04-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I found it kinda funny when I saw the ads in a magazine.
Sorry for the bad pictures.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5632/p1020802yt7.th.jpg (http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1020802yt7.jpg)
PWNED AD

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1047/p1020805te4.th.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1020805te4.jpg)
53k5 AD

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/4738/p1020806sm7.th.jpg (http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1020806sm7.jpg)
L337 AD

HelpDeskHustler
04-27-2007, 06:04 PM
it doesn't mean you can't say it without paying, it just means they made it their official slogan and using the same thing as a slogan in a product is attempting to take their image in order to sell your product. nothing that groundbreaking really, just preventing people from producing look alike ad's and leeching off of whatever sell demographic smartparts already has.

kidonfire
04-27-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm gonna trademark the word "the". $200 for any time you use it :dodgy:

Nenkitsune
04-27-2007, 09:35 PM
sooo what do the geek companys do when they have products that have l33t in it? XP i mean, they're using l33t and pwnd for shirts, mugs, hats, mousepads, cool gadgets, etc. smart parts sues, that's what happens

note: Nooo~ smart parts is trademarking my computer geekyness~ i feel so dirty.....

big_daddy_d
04-28-2007, 12:31 AM
no offense but this just seems so retarded...

Nenkitsune
04-28-2007, 12:53 AM
no kidding. they trademarked the computer geeks words....that's just stupid.

(btw i am a computer geek, paintballer, bmx, aggressive inline, guitar player, gamer, i can make fun of everyone hah)

vikingshadow
04-28-2007, 04:02 AM
No need to get your panties in a bunch! You guys don't understand - the only companies that wouldn't be able to use it would be companies that sell the same type of product as SP, ie. paintball companies. Anyone else can use that slang because they aren't selling the same thing.

It isn't that unique - Microsoft uses "Windows", Apple uses "Apple" and they invented and use the word "Mouse", so on and so forth....no law suits over those words being used by other companies. See?

Nenkitsune
04-28-2007, 05:23 AM
i lknow. i just get weirded knowing SP is using stuff taht i've always found resereved for my special hobbies

HelpDeskHustler
04-28-2007, 07:33 AM
i don't even know what to say to the bunch of you, except to stop thinking about it, there's nothing of concern... cuz obviously you don't understand, you don't PAY for using trademarks. YOU GET SUED FOR STEALING THE GENERAL LIKENESS OF A COMPANY FOR MAKING ADVERTISEMENTS THAT LOOK LIKE THEIRS, IE: USING THEIR TRADEMARK TO APPEAR TO BE FROM THE SAME COMPANY. i hope the massive font helps

kidonfire
04-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Wow, that almost burned my eyes out trying to read that.

STRIKEFIRST
04-28-2007, 09:25 AM
it doesn't mean you can't say it without paying, it just means they made it their official slogan and using the same thing as a slogan in a product is attempting to take their image in order to sell your product. nothing that groundbreaking really, just preventing people from producing look alike ad's and leeching off of whatever sell demographic smartparts already has.

I know this...IT WAS A JOKE!!!!!

STRIKEFIRST
04-28-2007, 09:26 AM
No need to get your panties in a bunch! You guys don't understand - the only companies that wouldn't be able to use it would be companies that sell the same type of product as SP, ie. paintball companies. Anyone else can use that slang because they aren't selling the same thing.

It isn't that unique - Microsoft uses "Windows", Apple uses "Apple" and they invented and use the word "Mouse", so on and so forth....no law suits over those words being used by other companies. See?

I WAS JOKING YALL!

I know what a trademark is...next I'll joke in the right context! :rolleyes:

HelpDeskHustler
04-28-2007, 09:31 AM
use this: :dodgy:

im using it right now.

shunut
04-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Wow, talk about getting you panties in a bunch. Chill out guys, even if he was serious is it really worth getting upset over?

HelpDeskHustler
04-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Wow, talk about getting you panties in a bunch. Chill out guys, even if he was serious is it really worth getting upset over?
who?... personally I'm tired of people continuing a stupid mistake because they didn't read my post, thats why i used super font.

bigred76
04-28-2007, 12:01 PM
They don't read your posts for a reason, apparently... :dodgy: (<~~~ proper use of a dodgy, btw)

Just playin' with ya Claus, much <3! Kinda lame that SP has to resort to advertising of this kind to buy into our newer players coming in... Speaks a lot about them!

shunut
04-28-2007, 12:02 PM
who?... personally I'm tired of people continuing a stupid mistake because they didn't read my post, thats why i used super font.

Wasn't that the reason you left before, because this forum and some of the members pissed you off and you needed a break. If you can't handle people making "stupid mistakes" maybe you shouldn't have come back.

HelpDeskHustler
04-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Wasn't that the reason you left before, because this forum and some of the members pissed you off and you needed a break. If you can't handle people making "stupid mistakes" maybe you shouldn't have come back.
i left because my grades were suffering... if i left because i couldn't handle people's stupid mistakes, why would i have a name at pbnation?

also: re:bigred
smartparts is wise to trademark ads so they can nail anyone who tries to pull a company dupe like what happens all the time in sales. look at any product that is worth selling, people copy the thing so often to get in on some of the green. kingman had the problem horribly with all the e99 copies and 32* stuff, that one milsim company had another company STEAL THEIR WEBSITE. sp, does this... if anyone messes with them... bam, no dispute.

STRIKEFIRST
04-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Wow...a STUPID MISTAKE...Honestly I'm crushed :dodgy:

Dude get over it...have a good laugh and move on.

HelpDeskHustler
04-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Wow...a STUPID MISTAKE...Honestly I'm crushed :dodgy:

Dude get over it...have a good laugh and move on.
i just don't see what there is to laugh about, maybe you can help me see that, but the way i see it is the whole laughing part was built around a false understanding of what trademarking is. if they had claimed to have coined the phrase or had actually tried to sue over some one saying it online or something then it might be funny, but it isn't that. its just an ordinary marketing job, being done correctly, if thats funny somehow, you must just have a complete blast looking at the ads between articles in magazines.

symbol 4.13 The TM symbol used next to a trademark provides notice to the world that a company claims trademark rights in that mark. Companies can use the TM symbol on any mark which serves to identify that company's goods, and the SM symbol on any mark which serves to identify that company's services. There is no need to have a federal or state registration prior to using the TM or SM symbols. However, use of the © symbol requires a federal registration.

Legal protection for a word, name, symbol or device which is used in trade with goods to indicate the source of the goods and to distinguish them from the goods of others. A servicemark is the same as a trademark except that it identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than a product.

UKwithPride
04-28-2007, 01:53 PM
GET OVER YOURSELF CLAUS, everyone is moving on from it and you keep dwelling on it. WHO CARES???

shunut
04-28-2007, 02:03 PM
:yeahthat:

Just because you say something doesn't mean we all have to bow down to you.

Some one made a joke, you either didn't get it or didn't find it funny, we get that, THE END. <-- Not a suggestion.