PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Nano.

Jack In The Box
04-17-2007, 09:14 AM
I just got a nano from a friend at work, and I have no idea how to use it. He said he didnt mean to throw the book with the info away.

For now all I want to know is how to get it to play over my car steareos FM station, what station, which setting, etc, and I would also like to know how to label and name the songs that are already loaded onto it.

Any and all help would be great.

Finally, he told me that if I plug it into my PC, all of the information, songs and such, will be deleted. True?

Thank you.

VS3 Sniper
04-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Yes if u plug it into ur pc all the songs will be deleted.I think u have to buy a adapter to get it to play with ur car. Hope this helps

kidonfire
04-17-2007, 11:26 AM
I just got a nano from a friend at work, and I have no idea how to use it. He said he didnt mean to throw the book with the info away.

For now all I want to know is how to get it to play over my car steareos FM station, what station, which setting, etc, and I would also like to know how to label and name the songs that are already loaded onto it.

Any and all help would be great.

Finally, he told me that if I plug it into my PC, all of the information, songs and such, will be deleted. True?

Thank you.

I think you can get the info on the apple website.

You'll need a FM transmitter, which will give you a few different chaneels to pick from

And yes, if you plug it into the computer it will delete all the music and put whatever is in your iTunes library on it.

Critical
04-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Fm transmitters are junk, don't bother. If you have an aftermarket head unit, use one of the auxilary inputs, otherwise, look for something hardwired in. As for the software, before you open iTunes on your computer, install a program called ipodrip. It will allow you to reverse transfer music from the ipod to your PC. Save the music, then open itunes, then plug the ipod in. When it erases the music, you just need to let itunes see where you saved the music and voila! Music!

timmyshoota
04-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Meh, I like the FM transmitters. They seem to work fine for me. You just gotta find a station that doesn't have much interference.

marvin-martian
04-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Meh, I like the FM transmitters. They seem to work fine for me. You just gotta find a station that doesn't have much interference.
agreed. i used an FM transmitter on a 11 hour car drive to buffalo and back, and only had to change the station when passing through a city that was using it.

Critical
04-17-2007, 04:56 PM
I haven't had an FM transmitter that was worth a damn since my 3G iPod. Now I'm using the 4G iPod, I tried several of the more popular brands, the best only worked when I held the ipod against the face of the head unit. With my hardwired setup, I spent about $70-80 and I get near CD quality sound and only one cord for both audio and power.

Ace24
04-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Fm transmitters are junk, don't bother. If you have an aftermarket head unit, use one of the auxilary inputs, otherwise, look for something hardwired in. As for the software, before you open iTunes on your computer, install a program called ipodrip. It will allow you to reverse transfer music from the ipod to your PC. Save the music, then open itunes, then plug the ipod in. When it erases the music, you just need to let itunes see where you saved the music and voila! Music!

FM Transmitters are not junk. Your probably one of the people that doesnt understand them and turned the volume up on your iPod all the way and was wondering why it sounded like a hurricane. To have it function properly the volume on the iPod should be set to aprox. 75% or less.

Get a Belkin Tune Cast II. It runs off of it's own battery, and can be found at Walmart or any electronics store for around $30. They are programable to ANY FM station (if you get the Tunecast II not the one that doesn't have the LCD screen) I have a Griffin Tech. iTrip for my 4th gen iPod and it works great, but sucks the battery more then it would if you just had headphones in. The Belkin Tunecast II plugs into your headphone jack on the iPod and can be used with ANY device that has a headphone jack, including your laptop, CD Player, Gameboy, Portable DVD Players, exc...

It's a good investment if you ask me.

To get the updated software for your iPod:

Go into iTunes
Plug in your iPod to your PC
Go to your iPod screen (It should load the screen automatically)
It will tell you if your iPod is up to date
If it is, just click on the update button and it will guide you through the rest.

Thank you.
Not true. I have never had that happen. I got mine used, and with around 200 songs on it already. None were deleted. The only time they will be deleted is if you delete them from your iPod.

To rename the songs that are on the iPod already:

Plug your iPod into the PC
Let iTunes load
Go to your iPod in iTunes
Open the window
Look through the songs on your iPod and figure out wich ones you want to rename/label
Right click on the songs then go to "Info"
From there you should be able to figure it out.

durrell
04-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Not true. I have never had that happen. I got mine used, and with around 200 songs on it already. None were deleted. The only time they will be deleted is if you delete them from your iPod.

That's actually false. iTunes is setup to automatically update any iPod that is plugged in with the Library that is on the computer. Yours may not have been set to auto-update, but the default setting is to automatically load any music that will fit onto the iPod from your iTunes library. So, if you don't want to lose the music then make sure iTunes is setup correctly or when you plug it in make sure iTunes is not open so that you can use a third party program to "rip" the music off of the iPod. :)

Ace24
04-19-2007, 11:05 AM
...or you can just keep the music on the iPod.

But yeah, I forgot to meantion that I had the auto upload thing off. It's a really stupid thing...

Critical
04-19-2007, 02:27 PM
FM Transmitters are not junk. Your probably one of the people that doesnt understand them and turned the volume up on your iPod all the way and was wondering why it sounded like a hurricane.

Not to get into a pissing match here, but, no, I'm not one of those people, thanks for making that assumption. :mad:

Get a Belkin Tune Cast II. It runs off of it's own battery, and can be found at Walmart or any electronics store for around $30.

Had one, it was the one that I had to hold up against the head unit to hear anything.

I have a Griffin Tech. iTrip for my 4th gen iPod and it works great, but sucks the battery more then it would if you just had headphones in.

Had that one too...

It's a good investment if you ask me.

Great, he asked everyone, not just you. You gave him your opinion, I gave him mine. Next time, try to disagree without making assumptions.

Ace24
04-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Not to get into a pissing match here, but, no, I'm not one of those people, thanks for making that assumption. :mad:

Had one, it was the one that I had to hold up against the head unit to hear anything.

Had that one too...

Great, he asked everyone, not just you. You gave him your opinion, I gave him mine. Next time, try to disagree without making assumptions.
Is it possible you drive a lemon? :dodgy:

He asked everyone, yes. I gave my opinion, and I'm one of the people he asked(due to being an active member of this forum), therefore, if you ask me, is a valid statement.

For someone thats trying not to start a pissing match, you sure are pissing me off. I'm glad you feel that entire post was directed twards you.

I drive a 2002 Buick Century Custom... it has no antenna except for one wired into the top of the car. I get reception fine. My friend owns a Honda Civic... it works fine for her. My other friend drives a Chevy Caviler.... it even works good in that car. The only one of my friends that have had problems with it is one that is to moronic to realize he had the volume up all the way on the iPod and it was distorted.

Critical
04-19-2007, 03:05 PM
After this I'm done, I'm not wasting any more of my time with an internet arguement.

Is it possible you drive a lemon? :dodgy:

Yes, it is possible, if you consider a 2001 VW Jetta with 171000 miles that I've owned for 3 years and is the forth car I've purchased since I got my license in 1992 to be a lemon. And, what the hell does what car i drive have anything to do with this? For your information, I HAD a 3rd gen iPod, with an FM transmitter, that worked great, if memory serves, I even said that in my first post! I simply said that with my 4th gen iPod, I had tried several FM transmitters without success and that one option was to try a hardwired system.

He asked everyone, yes. I gave my opinion, and I'm one of the people he asked(due to being an active member of this forum), therefore, if you ask me, is a valid statement.

I'm sorry, since when did post count on a paintball forum make you an expert on everything? Mooning over your girlfriend and *****ing about being grounded on the forum doesn't make you an active member, it just gives you a high post count. Again, FYI, I started coming here 6 months before I registered, because I didn't have anything to say until then..

For someone thats trying not to start a pissing match, you sure are pissing me off.

Tough

The only one of my friends that have had problems with it is one that is to moronic to realize he had the volume up all the way on the iPod and it was distorted.

So you decided to lump me in with your friend instead of finding out more information about what I had tried and what I might or might not know about consumer electronics?

/Critical

Ace24
04-19-2007, 03:17 PM
I have a high post count because I go around, caring enough to answer questions that I have experience in. I don't go around spamming, and the "Flame Theropy" and "Happy Theropy" threads don't count for anything. I'm just saying, I'm an active member who is on here almost every day, to every other day for a couple hours or more. That should qualify for active member status, no?

Sorry for catagorising you as an idiot. I'm just saying that the item works in more cases then not.

What car you drive does have to do with it because different frames react differently to wireless transmitions. The antenna of the car and the type of stereo also are put into play.

durrell
04-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Yay for thread jacks! Take it easy guys. ;)

Jack In The Box
04-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Lol, sorry to see this got into a debate.

Thank you both for all of your information. Its been very helpful.

Im having lots of fun with the iPod now.

Again, thanks.