PDA

View Full Version : V-Tech shooting

TheRedBarron
04-16-2007, 10:08 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html

A lone gunman is dead after police said he killed at least 21 people Monday during twin shootings on the Virginia Tech campus -- the worst school shooting incident in U.S. history.

"Some victims were shot in a classroom," university police Chief Wendell Flinchum said during a news conference in Blacksburg.

Police believe there was only one gunman, Flinchum said.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said university President Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified." (Map of Blacksburg)

The shootings mark the deadliest school shooting incident in U.S. history, topping attacks at Columbine High School in 1999 and at the University of Texas in 1966.

The Associated Press quoted officials saying more than 20 people were wounded. A hospital spokeswoman told AP that 17 Virginia Tech students were being treated for gunshot wounds and other injuries.

Sharon Honaker at the Carilion New River Valley Medical Center in nearby Christiansburg, Virginia, told CNN that four patients had been transported there, one in critical condition.

One person was killed and others were wounded at multiple locations inside a dormitory about 7:15 a.m., Flinchum said. Two hours later, another shooting at Norris Hall, the engineering science and mechanics building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported. (Campus map)

The first reported shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a four-story coed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on the 2,600-acre campus, is located near the drill field and stadium.

Amie Steele, editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, said one of her reporters at the dormitory reported "mass chaos."

The reporter said there were "lots of students running around, going crazy, and the police officers were trying to settle everyone down and keep everything under control," according to Steele. (Watch police, ambulances hustle to the scene )

Kristyn Heiser said she was in class about 9:30 a.m. when she and her classmates saw about six gun-wielding police officers run by a window.

"We were like, 'What's going on?' Because this definitely is a quaint town where stuff doesn't really happen. It's pretty boring here," said Heiser during a phone interview as she sat on her classroom floor.

Student reports 'mayhem'
Student Matt Waldron said he did not hear the gunshots because he was listening to music, but he heard police sirens and saw officers hiding behind trees with their guns drawn.

"They told us to get out of there so we ran across the drill field as quick as we could," he said.

Waldron described the scene on campus as "mayhem." (Watch a student's recording of police responding to loud bangs )

"It was kind of scary," he said. "These two kids I guess had panicked and jumped out of the top-story window and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."

Madison Van Duyne said she and her classmates in a media writing class were on "lockdown" in their classrooms. They were huddled in the middle of the classroom, writing stories about the shootings and posting them online.

The university is updating its more than 26,000 students through e-mails, and an Internet webcam is broadcasting live pictures of the campus.

The shootings came three days after a bomb threat Friday forced the cancellation of classes in three buildings, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bomb threat, The Roanoke Times reported.

Last August, the first day of classes was cut short by a manhunt after an escaped prisoner was accused of killing a security guard at a Blacksburg hospital and a sheriff's deputy.

After the Monday shootings, students were instructed to stay indoors and away from windows, police at the university said. (Watch the police chief explain where bodies were found )

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.

Before Monday, the deadliest school shootings came in 1966 and 1999.

In the former, Charles Joseph Whitman, a 25-year-old ex-Marine, killed 13 people on the University of Texas campus. He was killed by police.

In 1999, 17-year-old Dylan Klebold and 18-year-old Eric Harris -- armed with guns and pipe bombs -- killed 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves

wow, seeing this really bothers me, I have seen shootings, school shootings, the fact that thek iller did not know any of the people that he killed, he was just picking people at random, "playing god" that is the mentality that these people have, they are "God" they want to be in power and instead of working hard and earning a similiar power they decide to devestate the lives of other people...

Moe
04-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Aweful.

Backmanshooter
04-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Meh. Heard it 4 times today.

First I heard 20, then 32 now 21...hmmm

marvin-martian
04-16-2007, 10:26 AM
i know many people who either are attending this school, or are planning/debating to, so this is truly a horrendous feeling.

marvin-martian
04-16-2007, 10:27 AM

ya, because this is all made up :rolleyes:

Backmanshooter
04-16-2007, 10:28 AM
No..I didnt say that.

I'm just saying there must not be an exact number.

TheRedBarron
04-16-2007, 10:29 AM

There you go, just shrug off the lives of all of those people... Regardless of the number it is a horrible thing, and get used to hearing about it, this is the biggest shooting since columbine, and we are still hearing about that...

Why post here if you have nothing constructive to say? It makes no sense to me whatsoever. People died and all you can say is that you have heard it 4 times, and that the stats are wrong...

Backmanshooter
04-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Did I say Ha I'm glad there dead?

No Im always hearing about shootings and such, so I'm used to it.

timmyshoota
04-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Holy crap, I know a lot of people that go there. God I hope I don't know anyone involved.

bamf-hacker
04-16-2007, 10:43 AM
If anyone else posts a useless comment in this thread they WILL be banned.

This is serious, not a joke.

80% of my department went to Tech and know a lot of people there.

All the families, students and faculty are in our thoughts!

Oscum Guy
04-16-2007, 11:01 AM
wow , thats terrible. the gunman always dies at the end, retard.

im hearing different numbers each time i hear it for the people dead. 32, 31, 30, 28.

marvin-martian
04-16-2007, 11:03 AM
the total is at 32 dead, with 21 wounded.

vwjimmy
04-16-2007, 11:06 AM
What a sad day.....
Let our thoughts and prayers be with the students and families....
Let our hopes be that the varied causes of this behavior be discovered, treated and eliminated....

STRIKEFIRST
04-16-2007, 11:12 AM
This pisses me off...I feel bad for the families...I don't know anyone there...but this pisse me off.

Maybe it's time to start letting people with CCDW permits carry on school campus. It won't stop this from happening but maybe it would save some lives.

God be with them.

durrell
04-16-2007, 12:09 PM
At first I was surprised to see someone actually arguing in a thread about such a horrible situation, but then I saw who it was. :rolleyes: That's real mature.

This is horrible, and just hard to even comprehend that something like that could happen. My thoughts and prayers go out to the whole campus, because this will not be something to quickly go away for anyone involved in any way. :(

DFSniper
04-16-2007, 12:21 PM
*shivers* scratch that off my college list... i have friends moving to VA this summer too...

Nenkitsune
04-16-2007, 12:25 PM
man, 32 people dead and 20-something injured? makes you wonder what the hell that guy was using. something on this scale is just unimaginable, but here it is on the news ya know? something like this is going to hang around like stale air wouldn't you think?

emf7301
04-16-2007, 01:17 PM
I have a friend there and she sent a message of the basic situation of what happened. Here's what she said:

"Hey I am okay. Thanks so much for worrying about me. It means a lot. Here's the story: At 7am, a supposedly "disgruntled" boyfriend shot his girlfriend and then killed the RA on the floor. Then around 9:30 a killer entered a number of different academic buildings, locking himself in one of them and then lining victims up and killing them execution style. People ( a lot of my friends) were in class and heard the gunshots and many people wer injured from jumping out of windows and running away in big crowds. My dorm was suspected at one time and swat teams were swarming th hallways but they think they got the killer and possibly killers. The guy who executed all the people killed himself afterwards. There is a memorial tom for the 32 dead, and 27 injured. Keep Virginia Tech and families in your prayers. thank you"

I'd been watching very closely while waiting to hear from my friend and they said that the guy had two pistols, conflicting reports of either a 9mm and a 22 or 2 glocks, and was carrying several mags of ammo in a fannypack.

Stop your pointless bickering over stupid numbers. The fact stands is that this is the worst school shooting incident in US history. Treat this matter with the respect and reverence it deserves. While you may not have been affected, it sure as hell had me worried about my friend.

XxPaintballxX
04-16-2007, 05:00 PM
my parents and my brother just got home late last night after visiting Virginia Tech.......my brother made it in and wanted to see what it was like....they said they were walking right where the cameras were filming.

a shiver runs down my spine to think that if it was a day earlier, i could have no family....the victims and their families will be in my prayers tonight

Ace24
04-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Now it says, 33 dead including gunman, 29 wounded according to 4 hospitals.

That is horrible. Says it's also the largest shooting to date. :(

Story Highlights
• NEW: Witness describes gunman coming back to classroom
• University officials say 33 dead, including gunman
• Four hospitals report 29 wounded
• Attacks mark deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history

My prayers for their families and friends. :(

leed
04-16-2007, 05:29 PM
man, 32 people dead and 20-something injured? makes you wonder what the hell that guy was using. something on this scale is just unimaginable, but here it is on the news ya know? something like this is going to hang around like stale air wouldn't you think?

33 dead (including one of the killers), and 29 injured.. That's official.

But in any case, personally, I have chosen not to talk about it, I do know some people who go to Virginia Tech, as well as some of my close friends who know people there, and luckily, they're all okay.

It's just depressing, I would express my thoughts on it, but I really don't want to..

badlandsrox
04-16-2007, 06:53 PM
• University officials say 33 dead, including gunman

Correction: 32 dead, the gunperson couldnt have done it if he was a rational living human being, so he doesnt get counted as one, a living person shows emotion, remorse, has feelings, etc, its obvious he was never one :mad:

thechubbss12
04-17-2007, 04:43 AM
Unfortunatly i was waiting for this to happen... But i expected a High school... not a D-1 College.....

Its unfortunate but will keep on happening until or gove decides to legalize the "average Joe" to carry a concield firearm... That way when you are getting shot at you not just takeing bullet you actuly giveing them back.

My remorse goes out to those who had loved ones who died... Hopefully it wasnt in Vain...

chubb0rz
04-17-2007, 04:48 AM
This is sad, I didnt hear about it till I got home and flipped on the tv. Crazy how people can just walk into a school and start shooting random people. It worries me because it can happen anywhere and to anyone. My heart goes out to the victims families and friends. <3

timmyshoota
04-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Unfortunatly i was waiting for this to happen... But i expected a High school... not a D-1 College.....

Its unfortunate but will keep on happening until or gove decides to legalize the "average Joe" to carry a concield firearm... That way when you are getting shot at you not just takeing bullet you actuly giveing them back.

My remorse goes out to those who had loved ones who died... Hopefully it wasnt in Vain...

Its called a concealed weapons permit. Allows you to carry a concealed weapon into pretty much anywhere. Only places you can't go are courthouses and private property, but the charge for carrying on private property = trespassing, and thats it. I plan to get my concealed permit in the near future, along with a XD9/XD45.

shunut
04-17-2007, 06:11 AM
What a horrible ordeal. Its sad, very sad. I would really like to know what set this guy off and why he decided to do this, obviously there was something not right with him.

timmyshoota
04-17-2007, 06:20 AM
Judging that the first person he killed was his ex-girlfriend, I'd say it had something to do with that. Scary thing is I'm dealing with a crazy ex-b/f right now. He threatened to whoop my ass because I left his ex-girl a comment on Myspace. Normally I wouldn't take this seriously, but after this I do.

emf7301
04-17-2007, 07:03 AM

That was one of the things they commented on yesterday afternoon when they started criticizing VTech over the whole situation. In Virginia, you can take a concealed weapon (with permit of course) onto most property except for a few places and the school campus is one of them. While i'm not saying it wouldn't have helped, but how many VTech students have guns with them at school AND would also carry them. Virtually none because that town is just not known for violent activity.

Everybody can keep wondering "what if" but it doesn't change the facts. This is a horrible tragedy and the best that can be done is to learn from it and never forget those that fell victim.

bamf-hacker
04-17-2007, 07:36 AM
I don't think the concealed weapon permit made this possible.

The killer could have had a gun without the permit.

No matter what though, the school is some what at fault. After the first 2 shootings they should have canceled classes. There was 2 hours in between the first shooting and the second round of executions. If the students were not in those classes the death toll may have been less.

Really heart felt thoughts to the families, faculty and students of Virginia Tech.

emf7301
04-17-2007, 09:19 AM
that wasn't my point. they were arguing that a concealed weapon permit might have allowed some students to carry pistols with them and might have ended this earlier and with less victims.

Yes the school should have closed all classes when they didn't have the shooter in custody after the first incident, but it's all said and done now.

Keep the students and families in your prayers at the memorial today.

TheRedBarron
04-17-2007, 09:35 AM
A Concealed weapons permit is not permissible in a university school... You cannot carry at a school unless you are licensed to carry everywhere I.e. Police, CIA, FBI, any government licensed person who is to carry a weapon for their job.

MVS1
04-17-2007, 10:33 AM
This is truly an tragic and unfortunate event, my condolensces and prayers go out to those affected.

Unfortunately events like this will continue to happen in our free society. We enjoy too much freedom in our daily lives to ever stop such events.

The debate in regards to what level an individual has the right to protect themselves and the limit to which we will allow infringements on our civil rights will always be a problem. I do not think that exercising our right to bear arms would have prevented this or other similiar incidents from happening, and may have very likely resulted in even more fatalities from "friendly-fire" incidents. Especially considering that law-enforcement officials would have to try and identify who is the threat and who is trying to help in the middle of an on going fire fight. Don't get me wrong, I definitely support the right to bear arms and believe it definitely has it's place.

The other issue is tighter campus security, most colleges and universities in the US are open-campus, anyone can walk on. This is where I believe the issue lies, unfortunately just like with increased airport security in the wake of 9/11, citizens will only accept so much restriction to their "freedom" before they become feedup and forget why the security measures are there in the first place.

My hope is that this does not become the typical "who is to blame" media fiasco but instead helps to identify security short-comings and constructive measures to help mitigate the likelihood of this happening again in the future.

One life or 30 does not change how tragic this was.

yod3r
04-17-2007, 01:38 PM
i think i heard on the news that they are scared that someones going to and i quote "copycat" this...is that true

HelpDeskHustler
04-17-2007, 02:46 PM
we're having a lock down drill at my school sometime this week. it's not as unlikely that another would happen since psychologists say that people like this are more likely to act if they think they aren't the only ones with these ideas.

bigred76
04-17-2007, 09:01 PM
:yeahthat:

It's sad that these things happen, but, as we well know, stupid ****ers (for lack of a better word) will continue to do stuff like this. It's just their lack of self-respect and ability to take simple, every day life troubles.

I remember one of my best friends, Matt (old guy, but he's still awesome), was telling me about how there used to be a wood shop way back in the day at UC Davis that was open to all to work on whatever, until some day a guy that had his girl break off with him went in there, went over to the table saw, and ran his hand through it a good four times before someone realized what was going on and stopped him.

HelpDeskHustler
04-18-2007, 04:38 AM
IMO there were not enough legitimate warning signs to question why steps weren't done to prevent this. People claim there were, but if you start putting everyone who is an intravert, or SEEMS sad or distressed in a psycological help program, you'll have more problems.

the only way you will really understand someone to the point where things like this can be foreseen is when there are people who are close with these people, since he was an "isolated person" this doesn't seem to have been possible. There's definately a problem, not with the system preventing people's emotions from escalating to something like this, but with the system that people raise children under. There is too much guess-work in society to accomodate for situations like this, and until someone starts changing educational systems and finds a way to overcome the home and school boundry, things like this will continue to happen.

newkid
04-18-2007, 04:32 PM
He sent pictures of him holding his Glock and P22 and videos to NBC news, What an Idiot

BrianT
04-18-2007, 04:56 PM
i hope that all of families that were affeted by this tragedy recover and there are no lasting affects