PDA

View Full Version : VS3 vs Smart Parts Ion

cnizz
04-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Has anyone played with both the VS3 and Ion(smartparts)? I was just wondering which was better overall, as I have not played or even shot the ion. I have heard alot of positive about the ion but I was wondering how it compared to the VS3.

DRAGON
04-07-2007, 12:53 PM
You do know this is a Spyder forums, do you not? Would you possibly expect a somewhat biased result of responses? lol -

Me tinks you should try both and make your own assessment -

yod3r
04-07-2007, 01:11 PM
lol srry i got a chuckle out of that though...i agree with dragon though, its all personal preference

Spyder Ryder
04-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Kill Ions...kill Them All

DRAGON
04-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Kill Ions...kill Them All

I'm thinking that's possibly what this guy is fishing for -

CammyV
04-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Ions are nice, but a pain to work on!!! Go with a VS3, or even a VS2 you won't regret it!!!

Backmanshooter
04-08-2007, 11:38 AM
I agree with Cammy. Cleaning is a hassle but they aren't bad markers. I just wouldnt recommend them. ;)

cnizz
04-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Yea I gotta shoot one, but I dunno my VS3 is my baby:loveeyes:

bigred76
04-08-2007, 02:00 PM
You do know this is a Spyder forums, do you not? Would you possibly expect a somewhat biased result of responses? lol -

Me tinks you should try both and make your own assessment -
:yeahthat: BUT, some of us are fairly unbiased in our responses. For instance, I personally prefer the Ion. I am a fan of electropnuematic markers of almost any kind, and the VS series just isn't there enough for me. They perform about the same, cost about the same, and look about the same. It all comes down to personal preference in the end: they perform about the same, cost about the same, and look about the same.

Honestly, if maintaining a marker is hard to you, then why do you own one? Some manufactures make it easier to clean between games, but proper maintenance for any marker is basically the same: clean it and lube it. The Ion requires you to take out a total of 3 screws, and unhook 2 hoses. The VS requires you to take out 2 screws, and carefully remove a set of internals. Sounds really close to the same thing to me for a complete rip-down...

mtnboarder459
04-08-2007, 02:00 PM
I actually got my VS3 by trading my Ion to some guy who needed one cuz that was his teams gun and I got a brand new VS3. My ion was alright, but its not a good gun unless you do some serious investing and messing with it. Also, its very tempermental. I put about 100$ of repair money into mine before it would even shoot. Just from leaving it outside for a day. The VS3 is much more durable, i've actually submerged mine entirely in a puddle and nothing bad happened to it. I took it out and it kept shooting fine. So in my opinon the VS3 is better, theres just not that many ups for it yet. Especially drop forwards, I had to grind one down on my own to fit.

bigred76
04-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Idk if submerging any electronic marker is good for it, especially a Spyder... Their boards are not as well water-sealed on the solder/solder mask as other manufactures.

The only thing you really need for an Ion is a QEV, and then I find that they work great. You just have to spend some time investing into tuning it, yes, but then again, to get any marker working optimum you need to tune it. Odd thing, that. :)

spitfirocks
04-09-2007, 02:26 PM
vs2 is better, if have a problem with the ion, its really really hard to fix becuase its a closed cocking bolt, get the vs2 although its a bit louder.

bigred76
04-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Closed cocking bolt? It doesn't make much difference if it's closed or if you can see it, if it can leak, it'll still have problems. The main reason for bolt leaks on a spool valve is because of o-rings, and that's because all the air is routed through that one single part. If you combined all the issues of a Spyder's valve (including a VS valve), striker, and bolt into one, they far outweigh the Ion's problems. :)

Nintendo
04-10-2007, 04:52 AM
also ions have alot more upgrades out for the gun then the VS series does

CareBear-Killer
04-10-2007, 09:15 PM
also ions have alot more upgrades out for the gun then the VS series does

Yah, but the Ions have been out longer than the VS markers....

VS = better. Ion = cow poop.

bigred76
04-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Have you owned an Ion? Cow poop is not what I'd compare it to; more like entry-level EP marker.

True they have been out longer, but that is not why they have more upgrades out for them. They are from a "hot" company (because of Dynasty), and people go to Smart Parts for that kind of gun. They think "Pro gun for cheap? Sweet!" Spyders are more oriented towards newer players, and some companies just don't want to risk dabbling in that section of the industry. The board manufactures have finally caught on to just how many Spyders sell, and are just starting to get into it. It'll still be a while yet before Spyder is as well reputed as SP, even with SP's anal patent policies. ;)