PDA

View Full Version : UCSD here I come/ ?s about Guitars and Travel

shunut
04-07-2007, 08:15 AM
As many of you know I'm in the process of getting on the list to get a double lung transplant. Well I leave tomorrow evening for University of California, San Diego for my initial evaluation. 5 days of testing starting Monday, should be lots of fun :dodgy: I'm not too sure what all this will lead to or even if I will get put on the list. I've met with the transplant team locally here (they aren't on my insurance, which is why I'm not seeing them for this) and after that meeting I'm thinking I might not be put on the list. Its worth a try though, so we can only hope.

Now, I have a question about traveling. I play the guitar and love playing. I haven't been playing very long but I play everyday for a minimum of an hour a day. I really want to bring my guitar with me but I'm leery about checking it. I do have a really nice case that is custom fit to my guitar and is a hard plastic case with locking latches. Does anybody have any experience with traveling with a guitar? Would they let me carry it on board? Will it be safe if I check it? If I check it do you think they would let me lock it? Any input would be appreciated. Oh I'm flying Southwest if that makes any difference.

Kenny_McCormic
04-07-2007, 08:27 AM
they will probably let you lock it i doubt you could carry it on. i would get a metal case and a heavy one. my hunters saftey instructor showed us an alluminum gun case that he had taken on a hunting trip and the airline ruined it mammoth dents everywhere. the gun was ok though. what is wrong with your current lungs?

shunut
04-07-2007, 08:30 AM
I have Cystic Fibrosis.

The case I have is a hard plastic case similar to a Pelican case. I had a Pelican case for my paintball guns before and wouldn't think twice about checking that on the plane.

xtraking
04-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Im going to say you will have to put with all of your other baggage. It doesnt BOTHER to question though when you get there. However, if they do not let you lock it, I'd be afraid to put it on board. But you know if it is damaged then you can get into legal stuff with the airlines. If they see that it is a guitar at the beginning, then they should let you lock it. Good luck man! Hope all this stuff can eventually come to end for you!

Critical
04-07-2007, 08:47 AM
From the Southwest website:
http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/musical_instruments.html

shunut
04-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Buy a seat for it, yeah right.

Critical
04-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Then you'd better be prepared to check it.

Or, play the sick card and throw up blood on their gangway until they relent. :)

DRAGON
04-07-2007, 09:05 AM
I'd think you'd have to have a rock stars income to purchase a seat for your axe lol -

Maybe you could find a local place to the hospital that rents instruments. Look online - ;)

durrell
04-07-2007, 10:08 AM
They should let you put it with your other luggage below, but I doubt you can carry it. They'll probably treat it like they do golf clubs and other larger items like that.

BrianT
04-07-2007, 10:34 AM
they'll let you travel with, they'll put it with the luggage.

DFSniper
04-07-2007, 10:41 AM
id say put it below, thats what my friend did with his Randy Rhoads 3.

shunut
04-08-2007, 10:56 PM
I made it to San Diego. No problem with my guitar. I had to check it but they let me keep it locked. Got a crappy white V6 Mustang as a rental car (;) d). I went to grab my bag out of the truck and there is a lip below the seal that you can see. I caught my middle and ring finger on that and they are killing me, guess its a good thing I'm going to see so many doctors this week. I'll keep you guys up to date on all my tests and appointments.

bigred76
04-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Glad you got there safe Josh, GOOD LUCK!

shunut
04-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Yesterday was my first day of appointments. Only had 1. I met with the head pulmonologist. He said that after talking to me he will go to the committee and recomend me for transplant. However he said until my lung functions drop a bit more in order for him to put new lungs in me they will have to be in perfect condition.

Today I have a bunch of appointments/tests. Bone density, bloodwork and a psyc evaluation. Should be a fun day.

bamf-hacker
04-10-2007, 07:41 AM
As always buddy GOOD LUCK!!!

an FYI for the others, lock you bags on a plane, but use TSA approved locks that have the access slot for them. If not they will cut your locks if they want to search your bags.

Critical
04-10-2007, 07:50 AM
I've always wondered about those "TSA approved" locks, and whether TSA would just cut them like any other lock.

bamf-hacker
04-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Nope they don't. And when they do open your bag they tag it so you know.

shunut
04-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Today was a long day. I think the longest day I'm going to have. I had to get blood drawn, they took 22 vials, I got a bone density scan and a tb skin test. Last I had a psyc evaluation that took about 2 hours. Long day but everything is looking good.

Tomorrow I have a bunch of tests but should be done around 2:00pm at the latest.

durrell
04-10-2007, 05:32 PM
:thumbup: Glad to hear it. :)

HelpDeskHustler
04-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Nope they don't. And when they do open your bag they tag it so you know.
ive never gone anyware with that new checking rule, without being checked BOTH WAYS at BOTH AIRPORTS... it must be the bag i use or something.

(yes, thats 2 flights, 2 checks per flight) its happened the past 3 trips ive taken since 9/11

shunut
04-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Just got done with today's stuff. Today was education and Lung Functions. Everything seems to be going pretty good still. After seeing some of the results of the lung functions I'm not sure if they are still going to recommend me for transplant or say I need to wait a bit. I guess I'll just wait and see.

Tomorrow is all the radiology stuff. Chest Xray and CT, and Echo Cardiogram.

calebh
04-11-2007, 04:42 PM
lol HDH. i've flown several times since 9/11, and my stuff has been searched about half of the flights. one time, a bottle of peanut butter freaked them out. i laughed.

and everytime i've flown, i always see someone with a guitar on board... what airline did you use? hope for the best, man :)

shunut
04-13-2007, 08:28 PM
I flew Southwest.

Tests are finally done. I have a cardiac cath today. Most invasive test so far. They stuck a catheter into my jugular vein in my neck. Then they went down to my heart and checked the pressures in the valves of my heart. I'm a bit sore from that. They had a little trouble getting the guide wire to go where they wanted it to. Everything worked out though. They will take all the information they have collected this week to committee on Tuesday next week, we'll see what they say.

spitfirocks
04-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Hope your lungs feel better..ive never heard of your case before..what are the spymtoms and what is it caused by
?

shunut
04-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease, so it is inherited. Neither of my parents had CF they were just carriers. If both of your parents are carriers you have a 25% chance of getting CF.

Symptoms:

Abnormally thick mucus
Chronic Lung Infections
Failure to Thrive

They actually diagnose CF with a sweat test. The sweat test measures the amount of salt in your sweat. CF patients have a high concentration of salt in their sweat because their cells do not allow chlroide ions to past in or out.

Here is more information if you like reading (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cystic_fibrosis)

STRIKEFIRST
04-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease, so it is inherited. Neither of my parents had CF they were just carriers. If both of your parents are carriers you have a 25% chance of getting CF.

Symptoms:

Abnormally thick mucus
Chronic Lung Infections
Failure to Thrive

They actually diagnose CF with a sweat test. The sweat test measures the amount of salt in your sweat. CF patients have a high concentration of salt in their sweat because their cells do not allow chlroide ions to past in or out.

Here is more information if you like reading (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cystic_fibrosis)

Hang in there man...you know were all praying for you.

Ions...there everywhere like the dang plague! ;)

shunut
04-15-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm finally home.

Transplant committee meets on Tuesday to review my tests and discuss my fate...

Hob Hayward
04-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Good luck Josh.

yod3r
04-15-2007, 08:12 PM
good luck man

kidonfire
04-15-2007, 09:23 PM
I flew Southwest.

I know a pilot who flys for Southwest. Except he flys from here to Japan.

Back on topic, Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

shunut
04-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks guys.

.21'[~tw!tch*
04-16-2007, 09:28 AM
wow I apologize for Not noticing the importance of this thread.

First Off. I wish you the best of luck. And for the record I would never noone out anything in my throat lol, they can go in though the @$$ for all I care just way to sensitive bout my throat.

And second I have carried my guitar on board from Phoenix to Illinois prolly three times now. It fits in the overhead. the baggage things when you check out your bag size are normally large enough for a guitar case standing up and the hieght marker it ussually ok as well.

Again best of luck, But You sound like a very determined person and Im sure you will turn out more than fine. :up:

w/e you do. DO NOT go swimming. Most extensive thing On the lungs I can think of at the moment. <---besides running the 300 in track.

.;p3ace:.

shunut
04-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Well, my doctor from UCSD called today with the committee's decision. They decided to go ahead and put me on the list. There are a couple things I have to do before I will be on the list officially but I should have those done by the end of the week.

vwjimmy
04-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Congrats Josh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well on your way now....
:)

bamf-hacker
04-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Woot new lungs for Josh!!!

TheRedBarron
04-18-2007, 11:20 AM
I <3 Josh.

When is the next marathon?

shunut
04-18-2007, 11:34 AM
LOL

We missed the Boston Marathon, it was 2 days ago. We missed the Arizona Ironman too, it was 3 days ago. The Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii are 10/13/2007.

Sorry I forgot to email you directly Matt, I was excited and forgot to tell a couple people, like my mom, just realized I haven't told her.

TheRedBarron
04-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Lets to to HI then, nice weather there from what I hear.

shunut
05-17-2007, 10:32 AM
* UPDATE *

I just got a call from my case manager from my insurance company. I'm happy to say that they have approved my transplant. My case manager was in the process of getting the air ambulance approved, then she would call UCSD to let them know. So I should officially be on the transplant list very, very soon!

STRIKEFIRST
05-17-2007, 10:55 AM
HECK YEAH!!!

Congrats man!!!

Jegger24
05-17-2007, 11:14 AM
:yeahthat:

Congratulations Shunut! Best of luck with the entire process! I can't wait to hear that you are better and out throwing paint again!!!!!

badlandsrox
05-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Werent you supposed to be on the list *officially* a few months ago?

vwjimmy
05-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Congrats :)
(Any transplant that takes place in my home town is destined to be a sucess ;) )

shunut
05-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Werent you supposed to be on the list *officially* a few months ago?

No, I just went to get tested to see if I even qualified to be on the list last month.

And it is official now. I got a call at 2:00 pm PST today letting me know that I have been listed. So now I just have to wait.

Kenny_McCormic
05-17-2007, 06:01 PM
how long is this list? lets hope its short

vwjimmy
05-17-2007, 06:19 PM
And it is official now. I got a call at 2:00 pm PST today letting me know that I have been listed. So now I just have to wait.
WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will be here before you know it :)

Team Ramrod
05-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Congrats Josh!

Good luck with the next step, we know your strong so you'll make it!