PDA

View Full Version : upgrades gone really wrong

dyno
04-05-2007, 07:23 AM
I'm new to paintball, played twice using my new pilot acs. Had no problems with it both times. Bought upgrades for it. Halo TSA backman hopper, j&j ceramic 16" barrell, and trinity clamping feedneck. Put them all on and it chops... alot. Took them off and it's fine. Put the j&j barrell on, no breaks, added the feedneck and occational break in the breach. Added the halo tsa... bang..bang..bang..BREAK..splatter..balls fly all over the place until I break it down and clean it. I didn't program the halo 'cause I don't know what's best so I just turned it on. The break is ususally in the breach. I read the reviews on all these parts and didn't see anyone having problems with them. I only shoot in semi and the testing has be with about 500 balls shot slowly. I've only tried 2 paints (Visible Impact, and some other brand I got with my pods). I'm going to try Recon, Draxxus, and X-Ball. Any feedback, direction, or assistance would be great.

Thanks for the help.

ross * pilot
04-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Your problem is probably from blowback, or you didnt break in your ACS bolt. The spring is pretty stiff, but you need to take out your bolt and break in the spring by moving it up and down (watch tv while you do it). This will break in the spring and prevent most chops.

dyno
04-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks,

would "popcorn" be a sign of blowback? I noticed the paintballs were jumping around alot in the gravity hopper.

To break-in the bolt, do I just compress the spring over and over to loosen it up?

I also crono my marker and made sure it was set at 280bps. and switched co2 tanks.

Thanks for your help.

ross * pilot
04-05-2007, 09:32 AM
yep, popcorning is a big sign of blowback, extra air seeps through the top of the bolt, going up the feedneck chamber. Because the stock ACS bolt has no orings, you're unfortunately going to get blowback.

yes, to break in the Acs bolt, you just compress it over and over. You should do it for a length of a movie. Doing this will help the bolt recognize a bit better that a ball is not fully fed, and not shoot it. Good luck

paintball07
04-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks,

would "popcorn" be a sign of blowback? I noticed the paintballs were jumping around alot in the gravity hopper.

To break-in the bolt, do I just compress the spring over and over to loosen it up?

I also crono my marker and made sure it was set at 280bps. and switched co2 tanks.

Thanks for your help.

How do u crono your marker?

Pwgsx
04-06-2007, 12:41 PM
you do it at the field you play at......its kinda like radar for the speed of the ball.

Or you can get a handheld one, I think someone is selling on in the BST section.....

To break in my bolt, I removed the back screw and found a long screw or bolt that matched threads and screwed it in, this allowed me to hold the bolt in my hand and press it over and over on a small block of wood, the floor , or anyhting else thats hard. IT was much easier on the fingers.

dyno
04-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Yea, I bought a handheld crono when I got my other upgrades. I haven't had a chance to play on a field yet, just in the woods with friends. I thought it was too important to risk playing with unsafe markers.

Broke my bolt spring in the other day. Now I have one hand larger than the other. Wish I'd thought of the longer screw idea.

Thanks for all your help, I'm going to test my upgrades this afternoon.

dyno
04-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Ran about 200 balls thru it, no breaks.

Thanks for the good advice.