PDA

View Full Version : Major MR2 Problem.

ForrestSpyder
04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Hi.

I am new to these forums and new to paint balling in general. Four days ago I got a Spyder MR2 marker from Bass Pro Shop. Yesterday was my first opportunity to shoot it. I heard that you needed a faster hopper than a standard gravity hopper, so I bought a Tippman electric hopper rated at 15 bps. I am using a standard CO2 tank. I had a standard 9V batteries in it instead of the 9.6V because I thought the 9.6V might need to charge.

Anyway, my problem is that when I took it into my yard and set up a piece of drywall to use as a target. I drew a figure on it, aimed for the head from thirty feet away and squeezed off a paintball. I couldnít have been more thrilled with the result. I hit the four inch target that I drew in the middle of the head. A few rounds latter my feedneck was filled with broken paintballs and the gun wasnít shooting anymore. So I cleaned it and tried again. I wasnít shooting fast at all and yet it seemed like every third ball would break and fill my feed neck with paint.

Has anyone had this problem with their MR2 right from the box? And if so, how did they fix it.

I have heard that my issue could be one of several things from people in other paintball forums.

-I wasnít using the 9.6 volt batteries (I donít see why this would break balls)
-My bolt is set to fire too fast (I had the bolt thing screwed all the way in, so it should be shooting at its slowest possible speed)
-I need a high speed hopper (I heard that a 15 bps hopper should be plenty fast)

I need help, thanks.

Xtreme
04-02-2007, 04:55 PM
1st:
Stop using a regular 9v battery that will fry your board! The board and solenoid are designed to work with 9.6 volts, if there is not enough juice the board will heat up and then burn up!

2nd:
That little screw thingy your talking about is your velocity adjustment, all the way in has your gun set to the max velocity which means your gun is probably firing over 400+ fps, bad juju!, all fields will not let you play with anything over 295 fps, the mask are only rated to 300fps! This might be part of your problem, which might not let the bolt come all the way back preventing a ball chop at the feedneck.

3rd: What mode are you firing in semi, burst or auto, I would think that your hopper should be good enough because burst and auto I believe are capped at a firing rate at about 12bps. Also is you hopper agitated or a force feed. If it is agitated then your are probably experiencing what all spyder guys get and that is the popcorn effect which is caused by blow back around the bolt. there are two ways to fix that, have your current bolt milled for an oring or purchase a new bolt from Alamo city paintball. also did you break in your ACS bolt, do a search for breaking in the ACS bolt, sound silly but it works.

Hope this info helps.

ForrestSpyder
04-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks.

1st: Yeah, I only had the 9v battery in for about a hundred shots. So I hope I didnt break anything.

2nd: Ok, I brought the velocity adjustment out quite a bit. This makes the spring tighter though, which seems to me like it would increase speed, but I really dont know anything about paintball markers. Just so we are clear, making the velocuty adjustment longer will lower speed?

3rd: I was haing breaks in semi, and burst or auto just turned my feedneck into a liquid mess of broken balls. My hopper is an agiated one. If I buy a force feed one like a Halo B will this solve my problem? I can always give my agitator to my girlfriend.

The Booth Man
04-02-2007, 05:55 PM
1st: You didn't break anything by using a 9v battery

2nd: To answer your question: Unscrewing the velocity adjustment will lower the speed and reduce the likelyhood of bad chops

3rd: A forcefed hopper should solve most of your chopping problems. Get a good one, spend the money, you won't be dissapointed. I use the Viewloader Vlocity and found that it suits my needs. I haven't had a chop with it yet! (6 months, 4 games, lots of testing)

From what you stated, it sounds like excess air escaping up the feedneck. This is called "blowby" and creates a "popcorn effect" on your paintballs. This is a common problem among MR2 owners, and has been addressed a few times in this forum. I don't have time right now to find the links to those threads, but I will post them as soon as I can.

For now, try searching the entire site using the keywords: blowby, popcorn, or blowback

Good luck!

ForrestSpyder
04-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I unscrewed it so that should slow it down a bit. Would a new feedneck help with air escaping? Or will I need a new bolt?

MR.FANTACTICAL
04-02-2007, 10:28 PM
From What You've Told Us I Would Say The Logical Explination For Chops Caused By The Bolt And Going Into The Feedneck Would Be Your Lack Of A Forcefed Hopper. Your Battery Is Not Going To Chop Balls But Your Velocity Can Contribute To Ball Chops. But If It Were A Velocity Problem You Would Be Probally Be Chopping Them In The Barrel And Not In The Breach Area. I'd Reccomend Getting A Good Force Fed Hopper And Also Put Some Good Stiff Detents Such As Timmy Detents Or Intimidator. The Stock Ones Are Crappy And You'll Have To Change Them Regularly, So Buy A Six Pack Or More.

Kenny_McCormic
04-03-2007, 07:45 AM
dude quit with all the ****ing caps USING A LOT OF CAPS IS LIKE YELLING!