PDA

View Full Version : connecting two Xboxes. Help!

Eaglelox
03-30-2007, 11:06 AM
i need to get this going before my son gets home for his B-Day party. i have the two xboxes conected using the cable that came with my xbox 360. i have a halo in each xbox and i am not able to select system link play. what do i do now. thanks.

Jimmyd24
03-30-2007, 12:16 PM
go to xbox.com and go to troubleshooting

durrell
03-30-2007, 12:39 PM
No..is it a crossover cable or a normal Cat-5? You probably need to get a crossover cable. A normal Cat-5 will not work with your setup because it has identical ends. If you have a hub you can use that, or a wireless router with ports in the back. But otherwise you're going to need what is known as a crossover cable, which is basically a Cat-5 with opposite ends..so that it can communicate with the other box through the wire instead of through 2 wires and a hub. Let me know if you need anymore help..I'm fairly familiar with the Xbox networking. :)

Nader
03-30-2007, 04:45 PM
:yeahthat:

The cable that comes with your 360 is a regular Ethernet Cat-5 cable, which will not connect two 360's.

You either need a crossover cable, or a hub with both xBox's connected to it, that will allow you to network it.

I'm on AIM if you need anything.

crux
03-30-2007, 08:35 PM
ummm, my 360 ethernet cable worked fine at a lan i had not too long ago. I am quite sure you should have no problem with it. All i can suggest is that you make sure that box xboxes are the same (xbox with xbox 360 with 360) and that both game disks are clean and working properly. From there check all your connections, and that you host the game properly. Anyway, i hope this helps, even though it might be too late.

durrell
03-30-2007, 08:44 PM
It may have worked for you at a LAN because chances are you were wired into a hub. He is only networking 2 Xboxes, without a hub. That means he needs a crossover cable.

TacTownKilla
03-30-2007, 10:16 PM
No..is it a crossover cable or a normal Cat-5? You probably need to get a crossover cable. A normal Cat-5 will not work with your setup because it has identical ends. If you have a hub you can use that, or a wireless router with ports in the back. But otherwise you're going to need what is known as a crossover cable, which is basically a Cat-5 with opposite ends..so that it can communicate with the other box through the wire instead of through 2 wires and a hub. Let me know if you need anymore help..I'm fairly familiar with the Xbox networking. :)

Nerd :dodgy:

vwjimmy
03-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Nice Durrel!!! A+ for peer to peer networking.....
Nerd :dodgy:
As for being a Nerd...well, I can help you turn a regular cable into an p2p...I even know the pins to flip.....
This is when we need Dan....

HelpDeskHustler
03-31-2007, 06:48 AM
use a switch or router.
1. This forum requires that you wait 45 seconds between posts. Please try again in 6 seconds.
This forum requires that you wait 45 seconds between posts. Please try again in 2 seconds.

HelpDeskHustler
03-31-2007, 08:26 AM
i have 3 8port switches and 4 routers for those intense lan parties i have...

durrell
03-31-2007, 09:05 AM
I may be a nerd, but when I get out of college starting out at 55k+ a year as a computer engineer..you can give me a call and tell me how you're doing. :)