PDA

View Full Version : How Much C02 Left?

krashtestdummie
03-28-2007, 04:31 PM
How do you tell how much c02 you have left in your tank?

Team Ramrod
03-28-2007, 04:36 PM
you could weigh it and compare that to a full/ empty tank and ball park the amount. I think that is the only way, correct me if I'm wrong.

colonel_moo
03-28-2007, 05:51 PM
yeah, the only way to really tell is by weight. you'll eventually be able to tell because you'll know what your tank feels like empty, and what it feels like full. you could weigh your tank when its empty, and weigh it when its full so you can estimate how much left you have at any time by comparing the weights.

krashtestdummie
03-28-2007, 08:00 PM
ok if thats the only way, then that kinda sux because my friend is always convinced that hes always running out of C02, even when he just filled it up and i sort of need to kinda convince him otherwise

bigred76
03-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Easiest way to see if you're outa CO2: plug it into the marker and see if it chokes. ;)

Ace24
03-28-2007, 09:55 PM
ok if thats the only way, then that kinda sux because my friend is always convinced that hes always running out of C02, even when he just filled it up and i sort of need to kinda convince him otherwise

I've noticed that alot of people use the "I ran out of air" or "I'm running out of air" excuse just to cover up their bad playing. Either that or they are too scared to play a game through, and use it as a excuse to get out early to "fill their tank."

Tell him to get it filled, play untill it is empty, and pay attention to how much time, and how many shots (don't have to be exact, just estimate) he goes through in the tank. He will get used to knowing when the tank is full or empty. (This is why I love HPA tanks... They have guages on their regs so you can tell how much you have. :) )

krashtestdummie
03-29-2007, 11:41 AM
My thoughts exactly, I have a HPA tank, and, its kinda funny because i dont have to worry about it, or really notice it, but he'll go get it filled (20oz), and then about 300 shots later he says he running out just because he "thinks so" and says that hes shots are *****, so we go chrono him and hes doing just fine, so he wines and complains that he cant hit us cause his shots dont make it to us, when really he's kinda a wuss and tries to shoot you when your like 200 feet away

So ya if the only way to know is to measure a tank when its empty, then when its full, then ill have to go out and buy a scale, and thanks for the help

HelpDeskHustler
03-29-2007, 02:02 PM
hold down the pin and see how long it takes to empty the tank. subtract that from the full length and you have how full it is... of course, now it doesnt matter cuz its empty! :D

if it weighs 1+pound it should have enough to shoot (20oz)

samus129
03-29-2007, 03:35 PM
a 20 ounch co2 tank should get around 1000 shots

krashtestdummie
03-30-2007, 10:05 PM
ok i was just thinking, how do fields when they fill up C02 know how much to put in until its full then?

vikingshadow
03-31-2007, 05:38 AM
Again, they weigh them. We just drain the tank and then hang it on a scale (we use a fish scale, LOL! Hey, it works!) zero it out, and then fill them to whatever weight they're rated for.

Some people actually THINK they're running out of Co2 when there's another issue with their gun - the problem is that they don't know their guns well enough to know the difference. Then there's the group that was mentioned early that think that if they blame the Co2, they themselves won't look like such a bad player.

The Booth Man
03-31-2007, 06:20 AM
Then there's the group that was mentioned early that think that if they blame the Co2, they themselves won't look like such a bad player

Thats why I roll my eyes everytime I hear someone tell me to "just convert to HPA and everything will be better"

timbertiger20
03-31-2007, 11:05 AM
I empty all of my tanks completely and then write down the dry weight on the brass valve with an engraver. I am beginning to do this to alot of our rental tanks. Generally speaking if you take a tank off you should be able to hold it horizontal to the ground and roll it back and forth feeling the liquid move. It should also chill a bit if you roll it back and forth. If you can't feel it moving in the tank it's empty!

xSoulsx
03-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Yea... Sometimes if you know the sound of your gun good enough you can tell when its not gettling enough air. Also it will start getting slower and the paintballs will go slower and shorter distances

colonel_moo
03-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Yea... Sometimes if you know the sound of your gun good enough you can tell when its not gettling enough air. Also it will start getting slower and the paintballs will go slower and shorter distances

not really, the pressure in a co2 tank is relatively constant until the last 20 shots or so... then it starts dropping rapidly.

Ace24
03-31-2007, 09:47 PM
Thats why I roll my eyes everytime I hear someone tell me to "just convert to HPA and everything will be better"

Technically... HPA will make almost everything better. Your shots will be more consistent. It is cleaner running, so your gun internals wont get eaten up by the cold, liquid CO2. You can also get more out of an HPA tank then a CO2 tank dependant on size and pressure, and you have a tank reg. Which usually has a gauge on it, telling your current pressure. That way you can always know if your low or not.

TO BOOTH:
Being a woodsballer, it might be a better investment for you to get HPA for the reasons I stated, and because (speaking from experience) in cooler weather, with moisture. CO2 has a really nasty tendency to freeze. I've been in a situation where I was in the final game of the day (luckily) and was shooting fast, doing a run through in the rain and cold and my gun literally froze up. The body was covered in ice, the bolt was frozen... bonded by the O-rings to the body, and I was unable to do anything with it. I couldn't dismantle the gun until I got home and ran some warm water over the body to de-ice it.

The Booth Man
04-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Technically... HPA will make almost everything better. Your shots will be more consistent. It is cleaner running, so your gun internals wont get eaten up by the cold, liquid CO2. You can also get more out of an HPA tank then a CO2 tank dependant on size and pressure, and you have a tank reg. Which usually has a gauge on it, telling your current pressure. That way you can always know if your low or not.

TO BOOTH:
Being a woodsballer, it might be a better investment for you to get HPA for the reasons I stated, and because (speaking from experience) in cooler weather, with moisture. CO2 has a really nasty tendency to freeze. I've been in a situation where I was in the final game of the day (luckily) and was shooting fast, doing a run through in the rain and cold and my gun literally froze up. The body was covered in ice, the bolt was frozen... bonded by the O-rings to the body, and I was unable to do anything with it. I couldn't dismantle the gun until I got home and ran some warm water over the body to de-ice it.

Agreed. I will eventually go to HPA, but not yet. I have a Palmer's Stabilizer on my marker that regulates the pressure down to 500 psi. I've shot it on full auto for about 30 seconds with little shoot down, and absolutely no ice shooting out the barrel

calebh
04-02-2007, 08:19 PM
maybe its just my tank, but if i thump the tank, it will start to ring when its about a third full. when the tank starts ringing, i know to get a fill soon. 'course, now that i use hpa, i just check the guage lol