PDA

View Full Version : Which Bolt?

Crazy Cracka
03-26-2007, 04:34 PM
SPYDER MR 1 "LOW BLOW" BOLT (http://www.alamocitypb.com/MANUFACTPAGES/lowblow.html)
or
SPYDER MR 1 DELRIN BOLT (http://www.alamocitypb.com/MANUFACTPAGES/bolts.html)
(With no o-rings, 2 o-rings or 3 o-rings?)

Thanks.

ViperX
03-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Forget the low blow, it's supposedly suppose to put a backspin on the ball to make it go farther. However it's users have complained it's a gas hog and uses more air. Also if you plan on using any type of apex barrel system or rifled barrel it will do you no good and will only work best with smooth bore barrels. Plus I really don't think it's proven it's worth yet.

Safest bet is go with the regular alamo delrin bolt with at least 2 o-rings. the 3rd oring will chew up your ball detents over a short time period. I ordered the 3 o-ring version and just removed the front (3rd) oring and it works great, I don't feel anymore air escaping from around the bolt anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if my 12v revy will work on it now, as before I needed a halo b force fed hopper to counter the blow-by from all the air escaping around the stock acs bolt. Definately no point in ordering it with zero rings though.

Crazy Cracka
03-26-2007, 07:14 PM
should i upgrade my striker too? oh, i bought the bolt you suggested btw

ViperX
03-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Breakin in a new bolt refers to the ACS bolt, but I don't think the MR1 came with one, correct me if I am wrong.

ACS is the anti-chop system, basically it has a spring down the center of the bolt and bolt is made of two halves that slide within each other. The theory and use of it is once it hits a ball that hasn't fallen all the way into the breech and gets any kind of resistance the rear of the bolt will still travel as it's forced by the air and striker but the forward part of the bolt will give way to prevent it from chopping the ball in half. But if you are upgrading to an alamo city bolt, they do not come in ACS.

The breaking in part has to do with relaxing that spring inside the acs bolt. Some believe it helps prevent chops being more relaxed yet others have reported a tighter spring prevented their chops. In my MR2 I never broke it in, and it worked flawlessly with the help of an upgraded hopper etc. I think you really just have to diagnose correctly what is happening in your marker to make the correct change to fix whatever the problem is. Some things work for others while they won't for the rest. Every marker is unique and you really have to get to know your own first.