PDA

View Full Version : Spring Question

ross * pilot
03-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey guys,
I posted this on the nation, but i want some of your guys POV. I have everything needed for LP, but im pondering if I should get a new striker. Ive heard great things but Ive heard it takes a lot of work dialing your springs and things. This one guy on the nation had a problem with his. Anyways, Im using a med valve spring with a light main. I was using a light/light combo, but I realized that is a bad combo with my stock striker. I have been having recocking issues with the light/light combo when i would dryfire or chop a ball. I dont have any air yet, but when i get filled up, do you think the med valve with the stock striker with help solve this recocking issue? and should i waste 30 bucks to get a new striker, or just keep my old stock one. It has been polished. Im running at about 295psi right now. Thanks guys

DRAGON
03-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Personally, I don't see why you'd want to change that at all from where it's standing now -

Pwgsx
03-24-2007, 01:03 PM
yea that sounds good where it is.......what valve are you using??

ross * pilot
03-24-2007, 01:43 PM
NDz

Sandman_Bravo
03-25-2007, 05:38 AM
You could dremmel the stock striker. Cut some out of the body to lighten it, and mill the face to have a more cupped shape. That would give a similiar result to a lighter aftermarket hammer. The biggest gain is less inertia and recoil. Before I installed the Dark Horizon Ti hammer in my pilot I dremmeled the face to a cup shape and polished the body. I tried drilling it to lighten but it was more work than it was worth. Some people have cut out the top portion with a hack saw. Good luck with whatever you do.

Critical
03-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but it seems as if there's two schools of thought concerning modified internals in general, and in this case, strikers specifically. Either light weight, to reduce what a car guy would call "rotating mass" so it takes less energy to move the parts, as exemplified by the aftermarket delrin and nylon parts; and low friction, which makes the parts slide easier, as described by Otter on his home-mods page.

The question is, with all the new parts available, which thought process is correct?

bigred76
03-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Both. :) Lower mass means it takes less to move, and lower friction in general means quicker moving parts.

Sandman_Bravo
03-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Think of it this way; carpenter framers use heavy hammers for driving large nails in thick wood. it takes more energy to swing them. Trim carpenters use light hammers to drive small nails in thin wood. What would happen if you used a sledge hammer to put up trim, and conversely, if you used a trim hammer to drive in a metal post?

All things being equal, if you put in a light striker with a stock spring it would have less dwell time than a heavier striker. (with the same springs- main & valve) That's why you need spring kits to tune your marker. I have a titanium hammer with a medium (stock weight) main spring and a light valve spring. When I tried the stock valve with a heavy main, not enough velocity. The heavy main with a light valve, too high velocity and hopper blowback. Medium main with light valve was just right. Everyone is going to be slightly different though.